Any opinions on BSFL? Help?

Mar 27, 2024
If anyone could help me on How to attract more black soldier flies. That would be amazing. I already have some. Just want more to sell them to local farms.
Items I have in their bin:
Bedding- used pine shavings from coop
Food- bananas. Strawberry tops, cucumbers and other rooting fruits and veggies.
Also some chicken feed from the used bedding.
Egg laying spots for female flies- cardboard stacks.

I have had good experience with BSFL in the past, food for chickens, amazing compost.
But I have learned they breed more in hotter weather. If anyone is thinking about getting some, you should! Btw, any help is appreciated! Also opinions on BSFL farming and your experiences with them can help too!

If anyone could help me on How to attract more black soldier flies. That would be amazing. I already have some. Just want more to sell them to local farms.
Items I have in their bin:
Bedding- used pine shavings from coop
Food- bananas. Strawberry tops, cucumbers and other rooting fruits and veggies.
Also some chicken feed from the used bedding.
Egg laying spots for female flies- cardboard stacks.

I have had good experience with BSFL in the past, food for chickens, amazing compost.
But I have learned they breed more in hotter weather. If anyone is thinking about getting some, you should! Btw, any help is appreciated! Also opinions on BSFL farming and your experiences with them can help too!
@notabitail

I think you might be able to assist this person with their BSF

I see that I have been summoned.

I'm no expert on raising flies, unfortunately. As far as I know it's different than raising mealworms. However, I do think there are some things you could do to attract more.

I have noticed the tanks I feed apples attract a lot more flies. I'd say you could try apples and see if it attracts them. Stinky stuff also seems appealing to flies, and I've heard they look for salty stuff at times.

I’ve not raised BSF myself, but hear that while the larva eat nearly any compost, the adults are only able to drink sweet liquid (they don’t really eat otherwise). Usually things like flower nectar: do you have flowers blooming nearby? I would also bank on juicy apple slices in the bin like Notabitail mentioned.

I do nothing but empty mine yearly in the winter and feed it in the other times. It's hot here in florida, so they are active almost year round here. I have heard of people using the waste from breweries or restaurants, you just have to be careful ot to overfeed or it will rot and start to smell. I also have never seen eggs in the little block that I made for them. They must lay directly into the compost. We also seed about 10% of our grubs back in our compost pile to help boost the population of BSFs in our area. 2 adults = 500-1500 eggs.

Here is my box
1000003778.jpg

Back
Top Bottom