Any money to be made with Emus?

They are a very useable product oil meat leather feathers .
If you have a few hundred head and like killing stuff you could eak out a modest living
The oil is used in creams and lotions sell around 10 bucks an ounce the meat is great but find a buyer for it
If you wanna start up a farm me and a few others can set you. Up with some unrelated chicks let the mature for 3 years decide to mate lay eggs wait 2 months for chicks to hatch then slaughter at 18 months and bam your an emu rancher
But heck if you got that kind of time and money and land why

The only way to make money on emus on a small scale is to NOT raise them.

Experiance talkin' here.
lol.png

Plus they have to be one of the stupidest critters God ever made that hasn't went extinct.
hide.gif

They aren't real bright, only because they are flight animals and have smaller brains.. hehe but they sure are entertaining. A emu raised from a chick is like having a big feathered dog. They are also a lot like horses in ways.... kind of like having a cross between a chicken, a dog, and a horse.
big_smile.png

7205_santa_jazzy1.jpg

7205_silkie_riding_emu1.jpg

Jojoba beans, blue gum plantation, tulips, gold ETFs, Certificate One Clairvoyancy today, emu-farming . . .

I can tell ya in FL the emu went the way of the ostrich and rhea. Someone you can make good money on the chicks when people are fool enough to buy them on the unique cuteness factor and you can make money selling whole drained egg shells to artist. Otherwise...here on a good day, people beg to GIVE them away. At auction a clean healthy adult bird will bring between $5 aned $30 dollars. The are outta vouge and pretty much worthless here.

15-20 yrs ago they were bringing serious, real serious money but since "2000" the bottom fell out. to answer your question these birds are a $$$ pit, not at all worth the effort. wish you luck.

AL

how much work is it to process one of those for meat? Is it any good? Does it taste like chicken? Seriously what is teh flavor like.

Quote:
Easy to process for just meat, just cut the legs off. Seriously, that's about all there is to it.
Yes, it's pretty good meat, just not a lot of it.
No it doesn't taste like chicken, more like a mild beef to me.

The oil is worth more than the meat, or was, I haven't had them in years.

Quote:
Easy to process for just meat, just cut the legs off. Seriously, that's about all there is to it.
Yes, it's pretty good meat, just not a lot of it.
No it doesn't taste like chicken, more like a mild beef to me.

The oil is worth more than the meat, or was, I haven't had them in years.

I might have to see if i can pick one up cheap.

Back
Top Bottom