And some say "Chickens are not smart"

Around a month ago, I had to transfer mom and some babies to a safer cage from a old high-up nest box. I got mom transferred to the cage and went back for a couple handfuls of babies. Our new rooster raised his hackles and gave me a good peck on the calf that went through my pants leg! They weren't even his chicks. He thought I was STEALING BABIES!!

The new rooster's sister laid her first egg in one the normal coop nest boxes and I ate it along with a couple of others for breakfast. I didn't see another egg from her, and figured that she was just a pullet slowly coming into lay.

Yesterday, we discovered her hiding way in the back of one of those old nest boxes, setting on 8 of her eggs! She figured out that the eggs in the coop nest boxes get collected, so she laid a clutch and then set it in the old, rarely checked nest boxes!! I generally only check those old nest boxes every couple of days, and never saw her eggs because she hid them under the straw!

When it comes to food and figuring out how to reproduce, chickens can be really smart!

Not all chickens are this smart. I find the average meat chicken (whether Cornish Cross or a barred meatie) to be really "nice" but also pretty lacking in the intelligence department.

Back
Top Bottom