All Hens killed by Dog

Wow, oh wow. I'm so sorry. That is devastating when you did everything you could to keep them safe.
Don't give up on chicken keeping, we can see how much you loved and cared for them.
When you build back , use hot wire like those that have bears do.
I would price your hens for adult hens with shipping costs. That's is way more expensive then craigslist.

Wow, oh wow. I'm so sorry. That is devastating when you did everything you could to keep them safe.
Don't give up on chicken keeping, we can see how much you loved and cared for them.
When you build back , use hot wire like those that have bears do.
I would price your hens for adult hens with shipping costs. That's is way more expensive then craigslist.
thank you. I think I will have chickens again, and I did love them so much. that is very helpful on the pricing. Will give it to my lawyer. I will definitely use wire. Would you by chance know how to make a gate in the electric wiring? My brother said use four strands, a foot apart, and a gate to go through. He said use horse and cattle strength--does that sound right?

When I was a kid our next door neighbor had a Dobermann, and a Siberian Husky. I would go with a Dobie, but never a husky. She was a quiet, graceful, killing machine that could run like the wind.
I understand. My brother has a Husky and she is beautiful, well trained, and well cared for. He would never let her run loose to aggressively invade the property of others and slaughter at will and she never does.

Adding a layer of chain link or woven wire fencing over top of the 1/4" hardware cloth will prevent it being torn or ripped loose again. (1/2" hardware cloth 16 gauge is much stronger and what I usually recommend)Adding an electric fence will give you peace of mind and prevent the dog returning and killing chickens ever again. Sorry for this heartbreaking loss!

thank you. I think I will have chickens again, and I did love them so much. that is very helpful on the pricing. Will give it to my lawyer. I will definitely use wire. Would you by chance know how to make a gate in the electric wiring? My brother said use four strands, a foot apart, and a gate to go through. He said use horse and cattle strength--does that sound right?
So sorry to hear what happened. I think @DobieLover could have suggestions for you. This thread has ideas. Here's another thread discussing options too.

The four strands is what we used for the lamb nursery (highest ground in the pasture, so all livestock, including chickens, were housed there in the wet spring). The rest of the pasture was 3 wires. Wires will not keep out small dogs who just jump between the bottom and middle wires. It won't keep out coyotes which will jump over it. It won't keep out raccoons or fox. The four wires seemed to keep out the smaller critters. With four wires, the wires will be closer together, but the fence will end up taller, which should keep out dogs.

Adding a layer of chain link or woven wire fencing over top of the 1/4" hardware cloth will prevent it being torn or ripped loose again. (1/2" hardware cloth 16 gauge is much stronger and what I usually recommend)Adding an electric fence will give you peace of mind and prevent the dog returning and killing chickens ever again. Sorry for this heartbreaking loss!
I am writing all this down. And thank you for the comforting words

Back
Top Bottom