Air pocket at the pointy end of the egg...

Shu

Chirping
Oct 2, 2020
So, I am incubating my first batch of fertile eggs from my own Japanese quails. And so far so good...

But I was checking them, and I candled one and the air pocket was at the pointy end. I've had mis-shapened air pockets, but only two.

Do I have to put the eggs pointy side up? Will the baby live?

I am so confused... Can this even happen?

Thanks...

There is an air pocket looking area at the pointy end until the end.
Don't worry about it.

What day are your eggs on?

Here is one on day 5. I can look for another video that's the same day as yours currently are. Notice the pointy end.

1602819156967.png

That's my egg.

There should be an air cell at the top and this is empty space. If there isn't an air cell at the top, I would think that they were in your incubator pointy side up instead of round side up. Like I said, though, I freaked out the first time I saw this during my second or third hatch when I was learning to candle.

The egg was the right way up the whole time. I have a few cracked eggs that I taped up and I make sure that they are okay, so I am checking my incubator three times a day.

But I never saw the egg upside down.... There is no air cell at the top either.

Do I have to treat this egg any different?

The egg was the right way up the whole time. I have a few cracked eggs that I taped up and I make sure that they are okay, so I am checking my incubator three times a day.

But I never saw the egg upside down.... There is no air cell at the top either.

Do I have to treat this egg any different?
This is the only one that looks like that? I wouldn't treat it any differently than the others. I do recommend that you get rid of the cracked eggs. If the cracks don't kill the chick outright, they allow bacteria into the egg, which will not only kill the chicks inside, but may infect your other chicks.

Back
Top Bottom