DallasLoneStar

Chirping
May 21, 2019
Dallas, TX
Hi everyone, i am new to BYC and to chickens. We have had five birds for two weeks (acquired at 8 weeks of age): two Easter Eggers and one each Welsummer, New Hampshire, and Barred Rock.

I just got two 14 week old white leghorns last night. I have read a lot about introducing new hens etc but is the pecking order already all that tight in my flock of 5? I guess I am wondeirng with them all being still juveniles and the group of 5 only together for a couple weeks maybe I am over thinking all this?

It's hard for me to tell as a beginner. I know what to look for but all I can tell is that the barred rock seems to be at the top or close to it and then maybe one of the easter eggers. To be honest I never noticed much squabbling among them over food etc. The barred rock is usually the first into and out of the coop at night and in the morning.

Right now the Leghorns are in a 4x4x4 pen inside the run with their own food and water. I guess I am looking for advice on how long I should keep them all separated and then what to do next, working toward full integration. They accidentally (flighty LOL) were mixed in with the rest of them in the run for 10-15 minutes this morning and nothing really happened. The leghorns do seem scared of me and were almost IMPOSSIBLE to catch!

I just posted about introducing new birds, too. I have three red sex-links that are over a year old and just brought in four of the same that are about 18 weeks (one just started to lay). I only had two days of keeping them separate but visible. Currently, after about a week, the three older ones are still chasing them when they see them and pulling at feathers. Nobody has been "hurt" yet, and the young ones just jump up on a low perch in the coop to get out of the way. If I could do it all over, I'd keep them separate but visible for much longer, but I don't have great facilities for doing that.

Since they're all relatively new (and younger) this should be an easier integration. I would pick a day where you'll be available to supervise a bit then try letting them out together and watch how they interact. Make sure everyone can eat and drink without too much hassle. Some fighting will probably occur but if no one is pecking to the point of injury, then let them settle it themselves, then they should be ok with each other.

If things don't go so smoothly then pen the newer additions back up and try again maybe in a week or two.

I would also flip them around, put the old girls where the new ones are now, and let the new ones into the main set up. This lets them look around, and figure things out without being chased or harassed. Then mix everyone together, just be fore dark. Stand there with a hose or a squirt gun, if you have to break things up, but I think you will be fine. The next day do keep a pretty close eye out.
MK

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. The thing I didn’t plan on is that the Leghorns are fast as hell and great at flying. I had them in a small pen in the main run and while I was at work (nanny told me) they just flew out and were mingling with the others. When I got home from work I couldn’t find them and then noticed they were perched on the top of my 6 foot fence! I didn’t want to spook them and have them leave for good so I just backed away and went inside. A little while later it was almost sunset and they ended up roosting on top of the wire dog crate I had them in last night. After an hour I went out and just plucked them up and put them in the crate and locked the door.

At least I have them captive again! I may just leave them in the crate tomorrow with food and water what do you think? The bottom tray is filled with hay.

Maybe this is a dumb question but my “daytime run” does not have a roof. It is the side yard of my house and is shaded by trees. Then inside the run they have a predator proof pen and a coop/house inside/part of that pen. Will Leghorns simply never be able to be kept captive without a roof or netting?

In other words I am not worried about the safety of the new birds since they are larger and can fly so well. I am more worried about them fully integrating/ becoming part of the flock and also imprinting the coop as home and roosting there at night. And them not just flying away and living as feral birds haha

It is going to depend on your predators... and maybe how close your neighbors are. A simple bird net (like the kind to protect cherry trees, should be enough to keep them in, however won't keep much out. Should keep out most hawks.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom