A few questions!

AllFluffedUp

Chirping
Apr 11, 2023
So I have hatched before, but I guess I'm being a worry wart.
I'm staggering 32 Silkie eggs currently. First batch of 7 was set March 27th, and should pip by the 17th. The second set will pip on the 22nd. 3rd set on May 3rd.
I've done staggering before, and its gone well (I only had one quitter last year in a 40 egg batch). My only issue this time around is worrying about humidity. I noticed it climbed quite high last year (75ish). I dont take out chicks while anyone else is pipping, but do remove them and their leftover egg mess quickly, usually within an hour after hatching (hubby helps, in and out in under a minute). Do you suppose keeping the humidity at 45/50% would be easier for staggering as each chick that hatches ups the humidity?

You could start with that and then see. If humidity doesn't begin to be noticeably up then you can add water. A 5 day difference shouldn't be too bad, so humidity isn't as dire as it is earlier in incubation (although it is still very important).

You could start with that and then see. If humidity doesn't begin to be noticeably up then you can add water. A 5 day difference shouldn't be too bad, so humidity isn't as dire as it is earlier in incubation (although it is still very important).
Wonderful! Thank you! I started lockdown this morning (18th day). All had movement, and looked good (except for one quitter around day 9). Humidity is at 50% and now the wait begins!

Wonderful! Thank you! I started lockdown this morning (18th day). All had movement, and looked good (except for one quitter around day 9). Humidity is at 50% and now the wait begins!
Sounds good, keep us updated! Since the optimum humidity from set-lockdown is 55% and you already have a few of them in lockdown you may want to still bump it up to at least 55%. If it'll effect anything too drastically, though, it should be fine.

Sounds good, keep us updated! Since the optimum humidity from set-lockdown is 55% and you already have a few of them in lockdown you may want to still bump it up to at least 55%. If it'll effect anything too drastically, though, it should be fine.
I will! Hopefully everything goes well! I've upped the humidity to 55, as you suggested and im just a waiting bundle of nerves now 😂
Still have until approximately Sunday if they go to 21 and not 20 (last batch hatched on the 20th day).
My nose is occasionally glued to the plastic viewing screen while I watch for little movements.

I will! Hopefully everything goes well! I've upped the humidity to 55, as you suggested and im just a waiting bundle of nerves now 😂
Still have until approximately Sunday if they go to 21 and not 20 (last batch hatched on the 20th day).
My nose is occasionally glued to the plastic viewing screen while I watch for little movements.
This is me 100% 😅. I have ducks on day 26 of 28 and a few pippers. Seeing if they'll start to zip takes 99% of my day!

This is me 100% 😅. I have ducks on day 26 of 28 and a few pippers. Seeing if they'll start to zip takes 99% of my day!

Well I have good news and bad news! First batch hatched well, and I have a bundle of adorable floofs.
For the second batch, I had my neighbor check in on them. My Mom had a stroke this week, and all I needed to do was have her check the humidity.
Unfortunately she noticed a few pips which would normally make me happy, but after they hadn't hatched (she checked again for me this evening) she "assisted" a few. Their faces are showing, she chipped away the shell so they could breath, but no blood as she left the veined membrane alone.
I'm concerned they won't hatch now. I'm home, and I've checked on them (they've been the same i guess for about 5hrs). They're breathing, moving and making noise.
What if anything should I do? Humidity is at 75% currently, I upped it as soon as I got home.

Pic of one of the babies from the first hatch, to make anyone who reads this smile

Attachments

• 20230419_181655.jpg
    20230419_181655.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 0
Well I have good news and bad news! First batch hatched well, and I have a bundle of adorable floofs.
For the second batch, I had my neighbor check in on them. My Mom had a stroke this week, and all I needed to do was have her check the humidity.
Unfortunately she noticed a few pips which would normally make me happy, but after they hadn't hatched (she checked again for me this evening) she "assisted" a few. Their faces are showing, she chipped away the shell so they could breath, but no blood as she left the veined membrane alone.
I'm concerned they won't hatch now. I'm home, and I've checked on them (they've been the same i guess for about 5hrs). They're breathing, moving and making noise.
What if anything should I do? Humidity is at 75% currently, I upped it as soon as I got home.
So sorry to hear about your mom! :hugsThe babies are most likely still absorbing their yolks, which can take up to 48 hours. If you keep seeing yawning or chewing every once in awhile they're still absorbing. 75% is good, still try not to open the incubator if you can help it, and when assisting if you have coconut oil to put lightly on baby after you're finished assisting that helps keep him moist and prevents shrink wrapping.

Back
Top Bottom