In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 12, 2013
I need ideas for science fair experiments that:
  • deals with inucbation in an incubator
  • deals with fertile chicken eggs
  • has a control
  • is a science experiment
It has to be similar to the following, but I cannot do it because another person is doing it. I need something extremely similar that has to make sense.
  1. Does the color of a chicken egg increase its chance of its survival during incubation?

My science teacher is extremely strict on this stuff. So please someone give me some ideas ASAP!! Thank you so much!!!!

your project could be Does The Color of Eggs Effect Incubation or What Type of Incubator Works better. I'm Not sure, but this might give you some ideas

Hi!
Thank you for answering! I liked the one about how does the egg color affect incubation. Do you have any idea on how I should set the experiment up?

Hi and welcome to BYC!

I have a question for you Lana 123: are you doing this for school only or are you intending on going on to Regionals?

Lana123, Because this is for school, I suggest that you should talk to your teacher about the scientific method. They will be able to guide you regarding how they will grade you and how they want the project presented.

If for some reason you cannot talk to them or don't understand what they are describing, you could google the scientific method and read up on the process.

As a start, you need to have a question that can be answered through an experiment you set up. You should have a point of view or an opinion about what you think the results will be. This initial question is called a hypothesis. This question should be based on logic or previous research you have done. You will then come to a conclusion based on the results of the experiment you devise. it may support your hypothesis or disprove it, which is perfectly fine. If your experiment fails or disproves your hypothesis then brainstorm reasons you got the unexpected results and state how you can redesign the experiment or conduct further research in the subject.

I unfortunately cannot give you the answers and you really need to do some studying and research of your own. Science experiments can be really fun and interesting if you ask a question you care about or find interesting!

If you like the color idea, what about:
Will the hatch rate percentage of blue tinted eggs be the same as tan(or brown or whatever) tinted eggs if they are incubated under the same conditions.

I saw a thread on here where someone's kid did a science experiment on the hatch rate of washed vs. unwashed eggs.

To have a tighter control you would probably need all your eggs from the same flock.

ETA:
On second thought, that may not be scientific enough because there's too many variables with colors. Diff ages of hens, diff types, of hens, etc.

What about:
Will 14 day old eggs from the same flock of hens have the same hatch rate as 3 day old eggs?
You could gather eggs from several hens, and 2 weeks later gather eggs from those same hens. That may be more of a controlled experiment.

Hope some of my night shift nurse rambling helps out!

Last edited:
If you like the color idea, what about:
Will the hatch rate percentage of blue tinted eggs be the same as tan(or brown or whatever) tinted eggs if they are incubated under the same conditions.

I saw a thread on here where someone's kid did a science experiment on the hatch rate of washed vs. unwashed eggs.

To have a tighter control you would probably need all your eggs from the same flock.

ETA:
On second thought, that may not be scientific enough because there's too many variables with colors. Diff ages of hens, diff types, of hens, etc.

What about:
Will 14 day old eggs from the same flock of hens have the same hatch rate as 3 day old eggs?
You could gather eggs from several hens, and 2 weeks later gather eggs from those same hens. That may be more of a controlled experiment.

Hope some of my night shift nurse rambling helps out!
Thank you so much! I think I will use the second one about 14 day old eggs and 3 day old eggs. This was very helpful thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom