8mo old stopped laying but visits nest box

Uh... there is an injection that will stop them from laying, but I can't recall what it's called off the top of my head (in order to look it up). It would need to be done or prescribed by a vet.
Since the last time I posted, we haven’t had much luck. 14 days of pills and layer boost in a separate waterer and we’ve had one intact, hard shelled egg. No pigment to speak of. The rest of the days were nothing or soft shell. I’ll call the vet tomorrow and see what she says.

Since the last time I posted, we haven’t had much luck. 14 days of pills and layer boost in a separate waterer and we’ve had one intact, hard shelled egg. No pigment to speak of. The rest of the days were nothing or soft shell. I’ll call the vet tomorrow and see what she says.
Oh, forgot to post the pic from just now. The white spots in the albumen are a different consistency than the original ones. Those were creamy/pasty and these are like a gel
IMG_2213.jpeg
IMG_2210.jpeg

Go ahead and stop any extra calcium supplements if you are still using them, as the problem is likely that her shelling gland isn't functioning correctly. If the flock eats layer feed then it's up to you if you want to continue with that or not.

Hopefully the vet will be able to recommend an injection or implant you can try, or to refer you to someone who has experience with this issue.

They’re on Kalmbach 20% flock maker crumbles. They’re working on the second bag. They were on Purina Start and Grow medicated. Could that be it???

They’re on Kalmbach 20% flock maker crumbles. They’re working on the second bag. They were on Purina Start and Grow medicated. Could that be it???
If you hadn't supplemented calcium then layer feed might be a recommendation, but the fact that she cannot consistently form a strong shell with direct doses of calcium indicates it's not the feed type.

We see the vet tomorrow. Fingers crossed she can come up with something.
Well, the vet I saw on Friday used to have chickens but really knew nothing. She was very nice and didn’t charge me. She called yesterday to see how she’s doing and wants me to keep her in the loop.
Tomorrow at 6 I am going to an actual poultry vet that grew up on a farm. Her specialty is reproduction. 🥰🥰🥰
Wish us luck!

Well, the vet I saw on Friday used to have chickens but really knew nothing. She was very nice and didn’t charge me. She called yesterday to see how she’s doing and wants me to keep her in the loop.
Tomorrow at 6 I am going to an actual poultry vet that grew up on a farm. Her specialty is reproduction. 🥰🥰🥰
Wish us luck!
Saw a chicken vet last night. Diva has peritonitis. I have 2 weeks of antibiotics, lasix and meloxicam to give her and then we will check to see if the fluid is gone. Vet says the egg problem may reverse after the infection and fluids are gone.

Back
Top Bottom