8 Week old lethargic, weak

TinaRew

Chirping
Aug 4, 2022
Glenmoore, PA
My 8 week old is very lethargic and can’t keep her head up for very long. She falls asleep almost instantly and can’t keep her eyes open and her chirping is very weak. I don’t know what her poop looks like because I hurt my back and my boys have been taking care of her the past few days. I’ve been holding her for about an hour now and she still has not pooped. No sign of mites or lice that I can see. I tried giving corrrid by mouth, selenium and vitamin E gel, and B12. Basically just trying whatever I can! Ever since I gave her those things I keep seeing her occasionally open her mouth really large. When she was a week old she seemed sickly. There was one point where the one side of her body seemed almost paralyzed, and I ended up giving her B12 and Nutri drench and she seem to be doing better after that. I don’t know what to do, and vet isn’t an option. Does this sound like something familiar? Any suggestions? Please help, we don’t want to lose this sweet girl. She is still eating and drinking.

also, there was a period of time that she shook her head a lot a few weeks ago, but I checked and didn’t see signs of ear mites.

She just pooped - attaching a pic here. Could that be blood?

Attachments

• 063ED74B-4F74-4506-97CF-EB6022F619B2.jpeg
    063ED74B-4F74-4506-97CF-EB6022F619B2.jpeg
    548.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 150E1531-0B59-4904-8B5F-1E0960A917A5.jpeg
    150E1531-0B59-4904-8B5F-1E0960A917A5.jpeg
    833.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Has she been free ranging? If so, what might she have been finding?

You do need to try to see a poop sample. It may give us a clue.

At this age, chicks can get into trouble free ranging. They may eat too much grass and get an impacted crop. Feel her crop. What does it feel like? Hard and full? Soft and spongy? Flat and empty?

She could have a low grade infection. Do you have any antibiotics on hand?

What is your location, town, state and country?

At what age did her side seem paralyzed? At 8 weeks, coccidiosis would be my first thought. But Mareks could be a possiblility. Are you using B 12 or B complex? Anything with thiamine (B1) should not be used during Corid treatment. B12 only has B 12, where B complex has all b vitamins including thiamine. It is better to only give a couple of drops orally when medicating, or there is a chance of aspiration. I prefer to get them to drink by dipping their beaks into water often, letting them swallow. What are you feeding? Try some chick starter mixed with a little of the Corid water, and offer it to her beak.

Has she been free ranging? If so, what might she have been finding?

You do need to try to see a poop sample. It may give us a clue.

At this age, chicks can get into trouble free ranging. They may eat too much grass and get an impacted crop. Feel her crop. What does it feel like? Hard and full? Soft and spongy? Flat and empty?

She could have a low grade infection. Do you have any antibiotics on hand?

What is your location, town, state and country?
Shes been out in her new run the past 2 weeks that has had grass, so I guess free-ranging-ish lately. Before then we did go out regularly for time here and there to get used to being outside. She and her sisters are our first chickens.
she just pooped, so I uploaded to the post. Her crop feels soft to me. I don’t have antibiotics, but if there are some at Tractor Supply I could get them. I have no clue what to get. I’m in the US - Glenmoore, PA.

At what age did her side seem paralyzed? At 8 weeks, coccidiosis would be my first thought. But Mareks could be a possiblility. Are you using B 12 or B complex? Anything with thiamine (B1) should not be used during Corid treatment. B12 only has B 12, where B complex has all b vitamins including thiamine. It is better to only give a couple of drops orally when medicating, or there is a chance of aspiration. I prefer to get them to drink by dipping their beaks into water often, letting them swallow. What are you feeding? Try some chick starter mixed with a little of the Corid water, and offer it to her beak.
About a week or two old she seemed to have the paralysis. The breeder we bought her from did vaccinate. I’m using b12 only and did about 1-2cc getting maybe more on myself then with her. She’s not doing the mouth thing now, thankfully. I’ll try giving the food and corrid water together. Does her poop look like corrid or mareks? Is there a way to tell?

Ask for amoxicillin at TSC.

No, there is no blood in the poop.

Do you know if there is gravel in her run? Have you felt her crop as I asked?
No gravel, but she has chick grit out for her and I’ve seen her eat from it in the past. Yes, I mentioned in my reply that her crop feels soft to me.

I see no blood. Blood is ruby red or cherry red. Anything on the orange side is intestinal lining and not a problem in small amounts.

Ask for amoxicillin at TSC.

No, there is no blood in the poop.

Do you know if there is gravel in her run? Have you felt her crop as I asked?
How much amoxicillin would you give an 8 week chick? I don’t want her to aspirate, so I’m hoping there’s an easy way to give it?

Back
Top Bottom