5 day old chick is scratching constantly

TerriL188

Songster
Apr 6, 2018
Holden, Missouri
I just purchased baby chicks a couple of days ago. I noticed that one of the tiniest birds had a couple of bare spots on the top part of his wings. He is black so that make it very noticeable. I have been watching him and he is constantly scratching his head, chest, around his beak and bites at his butt. I have 7 others that I bought at the same time but I don't see them doing any of that. Whats any ones best guess. Thank you Terri

Hmmmm. It sounds like it might be bugs, but since you didn't say any that may not be the case....
The wing may be bare because he's beginning to grow regular feathers and lose his fluffy chick down. How old is he?

It is normal for them to scratch a little (growing feathers is itchy business). But it sounds like you're seeing this one scratch much more than the rest? Tell us about your brooder -- litter, heat, location, etc. and where you got the chicks. Pictures might also help.

debid,
Well I am using a wire dog kennel. I put cardboard around the sides to they would not get cold. I have it in an extra bedroom. I am using a white heat lamp and the thermometer says at the bottom of the cage it is 93 degrees. I am using puppy pads for the litter and changing it once to twice a day. Here are the pics I could get she did not want to be photographed.
000_0003.JPG 000_0002.JPG

Where did you get the chicks? The crate shouldn't have anywhere for lice to hide and I'd presume the cardboard didn't come from somewhere birds live? Puppy pads should be clean... so that points at the source. And, I swear I see golden specks (lice) and the weepy/crusty skin they'd get from lice chewing on them.

debid, I purchased these at Orschlens. I admit I was not crazy about the living conditions they were in. They had them piled in a bunny house, not one of the big wood ones but the small plastic ones but I don't know that it means they have lice. It still is only the one chick that has a problem it is very confusing. She seems healthy even with the bare patches. Thats for your thoughts I will watch and see how she does. Terri

Back
Top Bottom