5-6 week old Frizzle Chicks! Hens or Roosters?

heyheypaula

Songster
6 Years
Feb 6, 2013
Hello everyone! I received these three chicks two weeks ago and they've already grown so much! The woman I got them from said frizzles and silkies can be very difficult to sex and that she had one chicken she was sure was a rooster until she started laying eggs! I'm starting to have my suspicions though already... What do you all think?

Blanche is the biggest and most beautiful (in my opinion!) and my favorite! She's very sweet and loves to be held and cuddled. She's also very brave and like to be high up. I often catch her perched upon the water bottle feeder in their cage!

Dorothy is the second largest and has the most developed wattles. She is very brave and combative with Blanche. I've suspected she might be a rooster and have tried not to bond too closely with her in the event I have to re-home her... She is sweet as well however.

Rose! She appears to be the most "hen-like" out of the three of them. She is "squatty" and very cuddly and always hides beneath the other two when they are together. She is also very tiny and has the most "frizzles", haha. I am very attached to her already.

Here are a couple pictures of Blanche and Rose together for size comparison:

Last edited:
Blanche and Dorothy look like they might be a pair of young gentlemen. Rose looks to be a lady. Although it's always hard to be sure with pictures. That's what they look like to me. :)

Rose is the only one that may be a girl, I think you will need to start thinking of boy names for the other two.

I am intrigued by your avatar. What type of animal is in the photo--fawn, dikdik, some other antelope? I'm sure there must be a cool story there somewhere!

Rose is a rooster
Ginger seemed like the most girly of the bunch and Taz (tazmanian devil) seemed tough and manly
In the end Ginger was a Rooster and Taz was the biggest girly-girl of all time
Don't let looks deceive you!

Rose is a rooster
Ginger seemed like the most girly of the bunch and Taz (tazmanian devil) seemed tough and manly
In the end Ginger was a Rooster and Taz was the biggest girly-girl of all time
Don't let looks deceive you!
Does that mean that you think Blanche or Dorothy are girls or that all of hers are boys? I am confused.

Well, it is official! I heard and saw "Dorothy" attempting to crow this morning... So pathetic and so cute, hahha. Hopefully the other two are hens! Fingers crossed! Anyone in Upstate NY looking for a beautiful little frizzle rooster?

Might I suggest the name Dorjee instead of Dorothy, or maybe Dorian?

I had to Craigslist 3 cockerels last November as all of the clutch were boys. I did get quite a few calls and rehomed them very easily. Even got calls 3 weeks after just the one ad.

When my first roo started crowing ( he was inside the home) I thought my 10 year old daughter must have had a nightmare and was crying out and sobbing.l. Until I realized it was coming from the sun room... ' ahhhhh,ahhhhhh,ahhhhhh' then everyone broke it in hysteria at how pathetic the poor boy sounded :lol:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom