3 Yr Old Hen Walking on Hocks, Thin

Pics

Stephine

Crowing
7 Years
May 30, 2016
Sonoma
Argh. Came to the chickens this morning to find that my three year old Brahma hen Penny is wobbly walking on her hocks. What on earth? Picked her up and found she is thin, too, well hidden under her fluff I have to say. Comb and wattles look nice and red, some poop stuck to feathers in her tush - but all my Brahmas have that - they have a lot of fluff there... She is vaccinated for Mareks - what could it be? She had trouble with b vitamin deficiency as a chick (tumbling about the brooder), but got better in a day after I changed feed and gave nutri drench.
I have her ready to transport home now, to give her an epsom salt bath and check her over a bit more, then give nutri drench. What could this be and what else should I do? Thanks!!!

Hmmm - I looked at her eyes and one pupil has an irregular shape, but no grey at all, just the normal orangey color of the iris and then the dark pupil. But that’s probably bad news.

An epsom salt bath can really revive a droopy chicken, so it’s not fooling around with her, but I am mostly worried about Mareks now, where yes, that treatment would be useless. I will give her nutri drench and if that does nothing, assume Mareks...

Ok, here are some pictures - first of her normal eye, then the a few with the odd shaped pupil. She is in the shade now with her pupils dilated more than earlier which makes the irregular shaped pupil less obvious, but you can still see it’s not round.
13EDBF6B-51CC-414A-9A0C-8AF983394A29.jpeg
E9524CD0-0315-4EE5-B0DD-96E639CF1A19.jpeg

3D15968F-436E-42D7-864A-9F7FF3D17F7A.jpeg

A0C428BE-2A2C-4D8A-AB13-754A878C4C71.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom