2+ week old chick vent swollen and pulsating??

toofacedcutie

In the Brooder
Oct 15, 2020
so basically my mother acquired a baby chicken from a poultry shop because they did not want it, i don’t know the exact breed but im sure they’re a little bit older or around 2 weeks old due to the feathers. i have never owned a chick before so this is a first time experience. as for daily care i feed it chick starter feed and water with a little tiny bit of apple cider vinegar in it. it has a heat lamp and stays in a cage, although recently it hasn’t been near the heat lamp so i assumed it doesn’t need it as much and don’t leave it on all day.
my chick has been eating and drinking regularly and running around like normal but even since the first day we got it, it’s vent was swollen pink and pulsating constantly, i regularly try and clean its butt for poop and stuff like that,
today though i noticed there was dry poop stuck in it’s vent so i used a warm washcloth to soften it and take it out, the chick then pooped a bunch of backed up waste im assuming and carried on as normal.
what im mainly concerned about though is it’s butt is still pink a little swollen and pulsating constantly (will attach picture(s)) i applied a little hydrocortisone cream but i don’t know what else i can do for treatment. is there anything else i can do for it’s butt or is this normal and it’ll be okay? any tips are greatly appreciated!!!!
853AAC53-EDAC-4149-8A03-8186A65B4905.jpeg

42D911FE-65F9-43EB-8754-86ECBD963FCD.jpeg

The pulsating is normal and all chickens have that. It seems to have Pasty Butt which you are handling well, which may be the cause of it’s vent being slightly swollen. Does it have any friends? If not, you may want to get some more chicks for it. For the breed, I want to say Silkie mix due to the blue/purple skin.

The pulsating is normal and all chickens have that. It seems to have Pasty Butt which you are handling well, which may be the cause of it’s vent being slightly swollen. Does it have any friends? If not, you may want to get some more chicks for it. For the breed, I want to say Silkie mix due to the blue/purple skin.
im glad to know the pulsing is normal! i’ll make sure i keep up with the warm washcloth cleaning so no more feces dries onto it’s vent/fur, thank you so much!
sadly he does not have any other chicken friends, im not sure if my mother would allow us to have two being we have a few other household pets but i handle it very often, let it sit on my lap, it likes to climb onto my shoulders and sit on me/fall asleep, it seems to be very attached to me compared to everyone else in the house but since it is a lone chick we try and handle it (petting, having it run around on arms, or just chilling in our lap) as much as possible which it enjoys

It looks perfectly normal, and I agree with the above that the chick probably needs some buddies. I’ve found they get lonely unless they’re in groups of at least 3. But to each chick his own 😆
thank youuuu, im definitely gonna try to convince my mother to let him have a few buddies lol

It looks perfectly normal, and I agree with the above that the chick probably needs some buddies. I’ve found they get lonely unless they’re in groups of at least 3. But to each chick his own 😆
I have 6 chicks and 3 of the are the underdogs who are always together while the other 3 are like “I’m in charge” And they don’t hang around with each other

Back
Top Bottom