2 chickens are bleeding where comb meets beak

ryann77

Hatching
10 Years
May 2, 2009
2 out of 5 of our chickens are bleeding where the comb meets the beak. first off, should i try Quik Stop (used for nail bleeds with dogs) to stop the bleeding and if so, is it too close to their nasal passages that it would harm them to breathe in. also should i assume that this is disease related or merely injury related. It seems as though one of them is coming from a grayish lesion, it may just be a scab. the others keep picking at the blood. they are 16 weeks old and have been super healthy thus far. no other symptoms present. any suggestions/advice would be helpful. it is really hard to find any info online about poultry disease.
thanks!

I hate to recommend it, but maybe PM one of the wiser chicken people on here. Threehorses and Speckledhen come to mind for me.
idunno.gif

Personally, I dislike quik stop styptic type products around birds as I've read that they can be toxic. A lot of parrot people will use corn-starch or flour and pressure at those points to help stop bleeding. I personally recommend a product called Clotisol that I first got at our avian vet for a parrot who bit her own tongue and hurt her beak. I used it later for a self-mutilating cockatoo who would strike serious bleeders. The product is water soluable and is safe enough to be even used in beak injuries, Styptics are not. Corn starch is but doesn't work nearly as well as I've found a tiny bottle of clotisol does. (You have to buy it online.) Clotisol really really stops bleeding instantly, safely. If it dries up a bit, you just add more clean water to the bottle. My bottle has lasted for a good long time even with heavy use with the cockatoo.

But in the mean time, clean the area, use corn starch or flour, and put pressure on it to get it to clot.

You might also check out this article on fowl pox since you mentioned a grey scabby lesion.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-diseases-AvianPox.html

I've found pox here usually looks like the grey scabby lesion on the bottom picture - just spread about more like in the other two pictures in our worst cases. If you feel there might be pox, the article gives good advice on it and we can help you with supportive care. Pox is a virus and an antibiotic should never be used except for secondary infections with wet pox, or topical antibiotics for the lesions to prevent secondary bacterial infection there.

I also wouldn't medicate your injured birds. Cleaning and keeping dry and clean will help them heal. Once they stop bleeding and picking, you can just use Neosporin on them.

Guess I`m not one of the "wiser chicken people" here. Only been raising fowl for 51 years and have a lot to learn. But I would like to make an observation on your question. The blood you are seeing is, at least in my mind, to be considered an injury. The injured party should be penned away from the others to prevent cannibalism and worsening of the wounds. QuickStop is a good treatment and should accelerate healing so the birds can be returned to the flock in a short time. A good antibiotic ointment, like Bag Balm, or Corona, would also help. Always use sparingly in the nasal, beak, or eye areas. A few days and they should be fine. Good luck.....Pop

Back
Top Bottom