14 week old lavender Orpington cockerel or pullet?

Cajunflash

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2020
I am having a really difficult time sexing this lavender Orpington. I don’t see saddle feathers but there are some fine long neck feathers. No crowing and the comb and wattles are there and red but not nearly as big and red as my OE cockerel of the same age. Very thick legs but I’m not sure if that’s typical of the breed or indicator of a cockerel. Anyone have an opinion? I don’t want to rehome a pullet!
1DB34DD0-D211-4369-9CD9-12CB388AA81A.jpeg

I would guess cockerel only because my Lav Orp pullet took closer to 6 months to have a comb and wattles that developed. I'm told they mature somewhat on the slower side.

I am having a really difficult time sexing this lavender Orpington. I don’t see saddle feathers but there are some fine long neck feathers. No crowing and the comb and wattles are there and red but not nearly as big and red as my OE cockerel of the same age. Very thick legs but I’m not sure if that’s typical of the breed or indicator of a cockerel. Anyone have an opinion? I don’t want to rehome a pullet!View attachment 3179377
Did you end up finding out?

Back
Top Bottom