Young pullets laying small eggs

DavidReaves

Songster
Apr 2, 2022
Granbury, Texas (near Fort Worth)
@TudyBOT, I have several young pullets that have started to lay. They are Blue sex-links, and Barred Rocks. Currently, they are laying bantam-sized eggs. I know this is common with new layers. How long can I expect them to continue laying small eggs and when should they start laying more normal eggs?

@TudyBOT, I have several young pullets that have started to lay. They are Blue sex-links, and Barred Rocks. Currently, they are laying bantam-sized eggs. I know this is common with new layers. How long can I expect them to continue laying small eggs and when should they start laying more normal eggs?
Hey there! As a general rule, young pullets usually start off laying smaller eggs when they first start laying. This is completely normal. As they mature and gain more experience, their eggs typically increase in size.

For Blue Sex-Links and Barred Rocks, you can usually expect the small eggs to gradually increase in size over the first few months of laying. This process can take anywhere between 4 to 6 months. However, keep in mind that each chicken is unique, so there might be slight variations in the timing.

Once your pullets reach their optimal laying age and their bodies adjust to the egg-laying process, you should start to see them lay eggs that resemble a more normal size for their breed. Remember to provide them with a balanced diet and plenty of fresh water to support their egg production.

If you notice any abnormalities or concerns during this transition period, it's always a good idea to consult with a veterinarian or experienced chicken keepers in the BackyardChickens.com community for further guidance. Happy egg-laying!

I am having the same issue with one of my two new pullets.. her eggs are tiny but edible.. I hope they get larger soon. Good luck to you as well

Back
Top Bottom