Wood Ash- Huh?

It may have seemed like they were eating it. My chickens luv:yesss: going into my fire ring, and dust bathing. They do stir up, and use their beak to push some ashes under themselves, especially under wings. Almost looks like they are eating it to me, but are not.
There is no harm if your chickens would swallow some ashes. Maybe they are searching for some small grit among the ashes.:idunno

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

What Cavemanrich says is true, but they may have eaten a little for the mineral content. What minerals will depend on what was in the wood that was burnt; but you can trust your chickens' instincts to know what to eat and when to stop, so nothing to worry about. Wood ash is a good addition to a dust bath, with some soil and sand.

Yes, I agree. We have a wood burner and put all our ash in the same place. They love it and frequently I have seen four or five n the pile at the same time. They use their beaks like little shovels and push the dust where they want it and pick around to look for anything they might like.
Hugz

What Cavemanrich says is true, but they may have eaten a little for the mineral content. What minerals will depend on what was in the wood that was burnt; but you can trust your chickens' instincts to know what to eat and when to stop, so nothing to worry about. Wood ash is a good addition to a dust bath, with some soil and sand.
That makes alot of sense thank you. Should I also put diatomaceous earth also?

Yes, I agree. We have a wood burner and put all our ash in the same place. They love it and frequently I have seen four or five n the pile at the same time. They use their beaks like little shovels and push the dust where they want it and pick around to look for anything they might like.
Hugz
Thanks Rich makes sense

That makes alot of sense thank you. Should I also put diatomaceous earth also?
if you've got it, a couple of handfuls in the mix will add an ultra-fine- grain element, to reach the parts that most sand and soil and little ash can reach :D

It seems to be a bit of a marmite substance (people either love it or hate it) but I think with this, as with much in life, you can't go far wrong if you follow the advice inscribed over the door of the temple of Apollo at Delphi: nothing too much.

Back
Top Bottom