Will a Roo harm babies?

akcskye

Songster
12 Years
Apr 11, 2007
I'm curious...if I ever let Marti (my RIR hen) indulge in her broody tendencies and have chicks, would Billy, my BO Roo harm the babies once hatched?

I know male tom cats will harm kittens, and so will guinea pig boars (males), but what would happen if I let her hatch some eggs?

Our current setup is a hen house with a nest box, but free ranging until we can build onto our hen house with a bigger outdoor pen.

Thanks!
Kristi

**edited for typos**

Last edited:
Hello,
I have a male OEGB, three adult pullets (10 mos. old), and LOTS of 7 week old chicks. I decided to "go for it" and let them all free range together the other day. I have had no problems. He My roo gets to look at them through the wire brooder most of the night, so he sees them often. I would think you might have a bit of trouble if they have never set eyes on each other before.

Be careful and stay with them when you introduce them. I would be hesitant to leave the roo with the chicks unsupervised till you know for sure he will be kind.

Best wishes!

I think it would depend on the rooster. My sister had a buff orpie roo with a small harem. One of the girls came out of the bushes one day followed by a trio of babies, and the roo was even prouder than the momma was! Other roos are just nasty old things and I wouldn't trust them at all!

bun.gif

I had a rooster that raised chicks. My brother brings over close to 40 4 week old chicks and the only pen space I had had an old oeg silver duckwing roo in it. He took to them like they were his kids. To the point that when it came time to start catching chicks, he would attack you at the sound of one of his peepers in alarm. But it is an individual thing, have also known roos that would kill chicks.

Back
Top Bottom