When will you take goslings from the flock

ivy_huan

Songster
May 31, 2022
Hey guys
I have a mama goose hatched 5 goslings. I have one hatched from the incubator n I took one from their group. Im gonna keep the two but planning on rehome the rest

What's the best approach to do this ?
Right now the whole flock is watching over the goslings

I feel like if I waited too long I won't be able to catch them 😂😂

Hey, that’s a great question. I’m gonna follow along to see what kind of answers you get. I was wondering the same thing but my mama goose only hatched out one from her five eggs so I’m keeping that one problem solved for me lol

Hey guys
I have a mama goose hatched 5 goslings. I have one hatched from the incubator n I took one from their group. Im gonna keep the two but planning on rehome the rest

What's the best approach to do this ?
Right now the whole flock is watching over the goslings

I feel like if I waited too long I won't be able to catch them 😂😂
you mean like when should you take the remaining 4 away from the group?
You could catch them when you’re rehoming them. I’d let the geese raise them till then if they’re protecting them. Otherwise, I don’t take goslings from a flock unless it’s at risk of being killed by the geese.

If you’re raising all goslings in a brooder then I guess take them all away now, but they have likely imprinted with their parents and they could be distressed when separated.

If it’s what time of day should you take goslings?, then I’d say at night when they’re nesting. Geese can’t see that great at night and with a box and a flashlight you’ll be able to grab goslings while the lights in their eyes.

Thank you @Berd Man and @AGeese

I'm wondering how mad the geese will be 😂😂 and how long will they be mad at me for
I currently have 8 but I'm planning on replacing most of them with my own hand raised one year by year. I have two in the house right now that I plan on releasing back to them at some point and get rid of a gander ( i suspend I have one female and one male on hand)
In my flock out there, I have one really friendly goose, I raised her myself for a bit and she still comes to me when I feed them and all others just yell at me 😂😂

Shall I take the goslings away slowly or take them all in one go ( I have ppl interested in them but I feel bad taking them away from the flock as they are doing such a great job raising them as a group )

Hey, that’s a great question. I’m gonna follow along to see what kind of answers you get. I was wondering the same thing but my mama goose only hatched out one from her five eggs so I’m keeping that one problem solved for me lol
I started with two geese the year before and last spring they hatched 2 so I kept them too 😁 but I added a few more into the flock last fall now I have too many 🤦

Idk anything about gosling or geese, but when my broodies hatch chicks I let them do their thing until I have a buyer, in my current case the buyer is picking the chicks tomorrow, they will be almost 3 weeks old. The hen will click for a day or so then it's like nothing ever happened and they go about their normal business.

They'll get over it, but might distrust you after that so if they're already yelling at you sounds like you have work to do. I'd take them all at once rather than get them used to being upset with you every other day.
I got them as adult birds. They were never close to me but they will come and hang out at where we work 😂😂 they ate 200 of my lettuce transplants last year. I feel like we have some very complex relationship going on here. They used to run towards me at feed time. Not anymore since the babies come along

I have two people want to buy the goslings but I'm kinda waiting for the other mama hatch hers then take some away

I hand two that I'll eventually release back to the group when they are older and get rid of couple of those hissing ones haha ( the one I raised by hands still come to me when I feed them and will eat from my hand )

How long will their distrust last 😂😂

Back
Top Bottom