Wheezing and Sneezing

TinaRew

Chirping
Aug 4, 2022
Glenmoore, PA
Need advice!
My chicken has been through the ringer this past month! First a comb injury, then bullying, then sour crop. She finally got all better and was put back with the others where she seems happy and no longer being bullied, about a week ago.
Now today, out of nowhere she was sneezing like crazy and is wheezing! By night, still slightly wheezing. Next morning still sneezing a lot too.
I put Tylosin in the water. Should I be treating all 3 girls (we only have the 3) with the Tylosin in the water? Should I stop giving it? I only have the powdered version. I don't want to separate her again - she's not acting lethargic or strange and no wheeling from eyes or nose, and I don't want it to cause bullying again by another separation for an extended period of time. The other 2 don't show symptoms of anything that I've noticed. And in addition her crop feels completely empty and it's the end of the day. I checked last night and throat felt fine… but I did wonder if maybe she got some rice stuck in her throat earlier. I never gave rice before, but yesterday morning I did for the first time and it was a bit sticky.

Also...when she was sick with sour crop she seemed to get easily stressed and would wheeze when I would try treating her - just the act of anything brings on this stress. When she started with the wheezing and sneezing today, a dog was near her and I'm not sure if it made something worse that was already there... or if that was the cause. Either way, after the dog was gone she’s still symptomatic even next day.
Would love advice in what to do (besides going to a vet - not an option right now).

She’s about 10 months old, Welbar.
She also stopped laying about a week ago. She layed once during sour crop and not again. She only started laying about 3 weeks ago.

Attachments

• 7FEEF10E-B259-483B-ADC5-F0D6F9DDB036.jpeg
    7FEEF10E-B259-483B-ADC5-F0D6F9DDB036.jpeg
    489.4 KB · Views: 34
I should probably change that - her behavior is no different than it usually is, which is standoffish. She’s lowest on the pecking order so I assumed that, but maybe it’s from sickness?

Since you had Tylosin, have you seen a respiratory issue before in the flock? The antibiotic could possibly cause issues with her crop again. I would only treat with Tylosin if there was swollen eyelid, bubbles in an eye, or nasal drainage. Sneezing could be caused by dust,,feed in the nostril, something causing irritation in her nostrils, mold, or ammonia fumes.

Since you had Tylosin, have you seen a respiratory issue before in the flock? The antibiotic could possibly cause issues with her crop again. I would only treat with Tylosin if there was swollen eyelid, bubbles in an eye, or nasal drainage. Sneezing could be caused by dust,,feed in the nostril, something causing irritation in her nostrils, mold, or ammonia fumes.
What do I do if it’s any of those other things. They do always scratch around in leaves which probably have leaf mold. I’m concerned because it’s been a full day and still doing this.

I’ve only randomly seen sniffles and random sneezes here and there over the months we’ve had them. She had wheezed before when stressed when we were treating her sour crop.

I only have the Tylosin on hand for just in case matters. We had one pullet die around 17-18 weeks but with different symptoms.

This one has also been shaking her head a lot the past few days but her ears look fine to me. All the girls were dewormed within the past 2 weeks.

Since you started Tylosin, I would go ahead and give it for 5 days. If it is a fungal/mold infection, or a virus, it won’t treat those. Yes, a lot of things can affect them causing sneezing, including leaf mold. Good air ventilation is good to have in the coop. Look inside her beak for any up yellow or white material that should not be there.

Since you started Tylosin, I would go ahead and give it for 5 days. If it is a fungal/mold infection, or a virus, it won’t treat those. Yes, a lot of things can affect them causing sneezing, including leaf mold. Good air ventilation is good to have in the coop. Look inside her beak for any up yellow or white material that should not be there.
There's plenty of ventilation, so I'm not worried about that. I'll look inside her nose though! I didn't think I saw anything. I thought maybe yesterday it could have been giving rice if it got stuck, but when I checked her neck she seemed fine and I'm not sure why that might cause sneezing... just the wheezing possibly. If I notice she's fine in a day or so, should I stop the Tylosin or is it worse to stop and not finish a cycle, do you know?

Back
Top Bottom