What happened to "them"?

I wasn't sure what category to put this thread in- I don't think this is an emergency at all, she's(?) fine.
But I had a 3 year old buff orpington (Early 4's presently) who was always a good layer up until late last year, she(?) hasn't laid a single egg or shown interest in nesting/laying- I do remember her(?) last eggs being smaller than usual and the shells that weren't as tough as usual. And she(?) only laid once or twice a week at random.
Then she(?) stopped, completely.
It's been 5 or more months since she's(?) stopped, and one morning (2 months ago maybe), we noticed how rooster-ish her(?) face looks now. My mom even claims someone has swapped out buff orpington hens. 😂.
She's(?) always had a larger comb then any other buff I've owned, but nowhere near as large as it now. And her(?) wattles are crazy! Did my hen change her(?) gender? 🤔
She(?) doesn't have rooster feathers, and doesn't crow or act like a rooster at all- She(?) has no dominance in her(?) either. Although today I noticed how monotone her(?) "bok bok" is, never paid attention before I guess.
Here she(?) was when she(?) was still laying:
View attachment 3811736
Closer to the time she(?) stopped: (You can tell by the change in comb color, it was pale here.)
View attachment 3811735
Today: (Or this evening.)
View attachment 3811743
View attachment 3811749
P.S. She's(?) always been a big hen, but she's (?) definitely a fat bird now. She(?) doesn't even look like the same bird anymore other than color.
(The question marks after every she/her pronouns are absolutely necessary.)
I'm pretty sure after about 3 - 4 years of laying they can just stop (but don't listen to me i don't know much about chickens)

I'm pretty sure after about 3 - 4 years of laying they can just stop (but don't listen to me i don't know much about chickens)
It's not uncommon for healthy 7-year-old chickens to still be laying. If they stop early it means something is wrong. Could be something minor and non-life-threatening or it could mean they're quite ill.

Back
Top Bottom