What chickens free ranging in a traditional management system eat I.E. how it was done before commercial feeds

Pics
I laugh at the fat being a kind of carb.
In so far as fat is how the body stores excess calories, if those calories came in as carbs, it is.
But I have no doubt currant knowledge is off too.
Spector says: "Again, the problem is our eagerness to oversimplify. 'Carbohydrates' is an overused umbrella term that scientifically includes all types of sugar, starch and fibre found in plants. Each of these three carb groups has very different effects on the body, but we foolishly lump them together. Studies and experts are highly divided on whether eating high carbohydrate diets (which also means low fat) are good or bad for you. Most US-led guidelines recommend higher carb intakes. But the large PURE study of 18 populations in 5 continents showed the opposite effect on mortality." p. xvi

Answers usually lead to more questions. That is okay.
Better than ok, it's how we learn. When we stop asking questions, we stop learning.

But some questions teach us more than others.

I read this somewhere:
Smart people ask a lot of questions.
Intelligent people find a lot of answers.
Wise people learn what questions to ask.

"Cabbage, sown thickly in rows and fed from these sowings without waiting for heads, has been found one of the most economical of green foods."

Interesting.

I find that my chickens go absolutely bonkers for collard greens -- which are a form of non-heading cabbage.

My SIL frequently gets them from the food pantry and gives them to use because she dislikes them. Naturally, at this point they are often wilted and yellowing, but the chickens eat them eagerly.

Studies and experts are highly divided on whether eating high carbohydrate diets (which also means low fat) are good or bad for you. Most US-led guidelines recommend higher carb intakes. But the large PURE study of 18 populations in 5 continents showed the opposite effect on mortality." p. xvi

I'm sure it depends on individual biology and activity level.

My DH is type 2 diabetic and I'm PCOS. We both benefit from a low-carb diet. But our active 17yo who is developing an interest in weight training can eat just about anything that doesn't eat him first without issue.

Back
Top Bottom