(URGENT HELP!) Dried up.. yolk sac?? Hanging from my chicks belly. It’s dry stiff and idk what to do or what it is.

Emma_829405

Hatching
Jul 15, 2023
So we had a batch of eggs hatch last week and we had some late hatchers. The last chicken hatched about 3.5/4 days ago and the day she hatched we noticed a really pinkish red blob of some sort hanging from her and she was dragging it around. We didn’t know what it was or what to do so we separated her and left her to relax. The thing that was hanging from her stomach is still attached but it’s dried up now and just hanging there. The chick is otherwise fine, eating, chirping, sleepin, only thing is that it looks uncomfortable aswell because she has her legs slightly sprawled. but I don’t know if this will come off by itself or if I should do something. I don’t want to hurt her and I don’t have a vet nearby to take the chick to either.

7A4B8CFF-78C5-4B47-9E0C-74DD706A221C.jpeg
I will provide more pictures if needed but this is a rough photo, I’m really hoping to get some insight on this.

:welcome If it is completely dried up, you can safely cut it off about 1/4 inch from the chick's body.
If I see blood does it mean stop? Or if it makes noises while I snip? I’m new so I’m not sure what to look out for when doing this stuff I’m trying to be cautious.

:welcome If it is completely dried up, you can safely cut it off about 1/4 inch from the chick's body.
Hello! I’m in a similar situation. 4 eggs hatched yesterday and the one that hatched today is alone as the mother is attentive to the 4 that left the nest box. The one alone and hatched today had a red attachment. Any advice on how to handle? So I move the new chick to the momma and other chicks?

Back
Top Bottom