Toads. for sale

Thanks so much for your reply, Molpet. That is too bad they are no longer involved with chickens… I loved their enthusiasm.

By chance did you get any Toads from the author? If you have any experience or knowledge about them I’d be happy to read about it.

Or can you point me in the right direction where I can learn more about Toads or communicate with someone who does? Are there any other forums out there that may be good for me to check? I did a google search on them but came up with nothing other than the author’s original thread.

Sorry for all the questions… I hope you don’t mind. Thank you.
I think someone in Minnesota had some. But she hasn't been on since July
I received some "toads" from Ralphie they are incredibly healthy and good foragers. Strongly recommend!

I think someone in Minnesota had some. But she hasn't been on since July
Oh wow!
I received some "toads" from Ralphie they are incredibly healthy and good foragers. Strongly recommend!
MNChickMom that is awesome to know! Are you in Minnesota? How cold hardy are they?

Have you made any written documentation (ie. a blog, post in a forum, etc) about your experience with them? I am totally fascinated by them and want to learn more!

Have you been able to establish them to breed and produce chicks? Are you aware of anyone in Canada who has them? I wish I lived closer!

I’m so glad you replied… thank you!

I believe I was the last of the Toads. I can check with Ralphie.
MNChickMom, sorry to hear that you no longer have Toads but it’s great that you are still pursuing chickens it sounds!

If you have the ability to check in with Ralphie could I impose on you to ask him if he would be willing chat with me about them or if there was anyone out there he believed still had a flock of them? If there is a way to private message you I could provide my email address to pass on.

In the future I would love to acquire some Toad chicks if that would somehow be possible. Alternatively I suppose I could attempt to breed my own as Ralphie did but that of course would be a huge undertaking and a long process through much trial and error. It would be nice to chat about such a process to hopefully make it go smoother!

MNChickMom, sorry to hear that you no longer have Toads but it’s great that you are still pursuing chickens it sounds!

If you have the ability to check in with Ralphie could I impose on you to ask him if he would be willing chat with me about them or if there was anyone out there he believed still had a flock of them? If there is a way to private message you I could provide my email address to pass on.

In the future I would love to acquire some Toad chicks if that would somehow be possible. Alternatively I suppose I could attempt to breed my own as Ralphie did but that of course would be a huge undertaking and a long process through much trial and error. It would be nice to chat about such a process to hopefully make it go smoother!
Get yourself some chicks from a hatchery:

https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/jumbo_cornish_x_rocks.html

https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/big_red_broiler.html

Raise them and cross them. To raise the Jumbo Cornish X Rocks to reproduction age, you must restrict their feed intake, for example, feed them all they can eat for the first 3 weeks, then starting on the 4th week, cut back to only feeding twice a day until they step aside, then on the 5th week, only once a day, until they step aside, and on the six week, calculate how much they were eating per bird on the 5th week, and reduce that amount somewhat and give them that once a day, and if you see that they are gaining weight and they look too fat, or their legs are spreading apart, then reduce the feed more and more, and keep track of how healthy they physically look, feel their breast, if it feels like the breast is starting to split, you are feeding them too much, hold back on the feed more until their breast feels flush or the breast bone is barely noticeable.

The Big Red Broilers you can raise like any other chicken, just make sure they don't eat too much so that they can be healthy enough for reproduction and egg laying.

Once you have adult Jumbo Cornish X Rock roosters, cross them with the Big Red Broiler hens, and the main reason for doing this is because the Jumbo Cornish X Rock hens are not very good layers, you will be lucky to get a good amount of eggs form them, specially if they are on the heavy side (due to lack of feed restriction), so by crossing the Cornish X rooster to the Big Red hens, you will get chicks that will be better at laying than the Cornish X, and they will grow faster or should at least, than the Big Reds, then it will be up to you to select the largest of the chicks and keep them for reproduction, and through selective breeding (using only the biggest birds) you will be able to produce large fast growers which will also provide you with a usable amount of eggs per week. This project will take you around 8 months or so before you will have your first eggs of the crosses in an incubator, good luck.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom