The Complexities of Traversing a Ramp

frostychicken

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 5, 2007
I realize that chickens aren’t the brightest of critters, but I hoped mine were a bit smarter than they proved to be yesterday…
They are almost 6 weeks old and were moved to the coop two days ago. Yesterday, they had their first opportunity to go outdoors – and just 3 of 9 were brave enough to go out. My worry is that once they were outside, they couldn’t figure out how to get back through the door – which requires that they walk back up the ramp that they had come down. I attempted to wait until they ‘got it’, but the food and water are in the coop and I wasn’t willing to wait until they were starving and until all of the daylight was gone (and then have to catch chix in the dark).
Can I expect them to figure it out quickly, or will I need to monitor the situation for a while?

Mine took forever to learn, and they never did use the bottom part. They would fly up to the first landing, and then walk up the rest of the way. Try putting a line of scratch up the ramp - ?

That's what I did, a bit of scratch at each step. They outwitted me though and stood on the ground and ate it
barnie.gif
gig.gif

I did have to catch them at night the first two nights. On the third day, I put in a small nightlight and I think it helped because they 'got it' and since then they are going in by themselves (it's been almost a week since I kicked the girls out of the house!)
yippiechickie.gif

I was wondering......did you guys have roosts in your brooders?? Do you think that helps?? We did....and we moved them outside before 6wks....they had no problem learning the ramp. Do you think this is why?? :lol:Probably you guys had roosts too!! I'm noticing that chickens seem to have very different personalities!!
wee.gif

Yup, roosts, nest boxes lined with straw, fresh clean shavings on coop floor, full feeder and water, grit, heat lamp with temperature control, window, and a night light.
My girls think they are the Paris Hiltons of the chicken world...spoiled rotten and no curfew....
lau.gif

My mom had a friend she used to work with that came in crying one day.

Her chicks were raised around the baby ducks.

One day, moma duck led her babies to the water, but unfortunately, the chicks followed, and well...glub, glub, glub.

So, unfortunately, though KEENLY intelligent in some areas, they aren't in others.

My chicks loved it outside so much they didn't have a problem using the little ramp and chicken coop door. When I go to shut them in the coop I always have one straggler that is scratching out in the yard that I have to guide into the coop. It's fun watching them get all ready for night - they fight for the right side of the roost for some reason. All can fit except two so for the longest time the few that fall off fly back on top of the others until two more fall off. Anyways my husband will be making another roost tomorrow so hopefully that cures the sleeping on the right side of the roost.

Back
Top Bottom