Something ate the rear end of my hen and skinned her? (Central California)

annap1977

Chirping
Feb 27, 2023
Found this poor girl not far from the fence of their run yesterday, feathers scattered maybe 10 feet away... :( I feel like I failed her. Does anyone know what happened? I don't think we have weasels here, they would do more damage I think than just one bird?

Attachments

• IMG_20240401_174647.jpg
    IMG_20240401_174647.jpg
    896.8 KB · Views: 26
ah that's too bad. unfortunately it happens. could be almost anything but I would guess coon. A fox would eat the whole chicken. Could be a dog. I've been battling the dog problem.

ah that's too bad. unfortunately it happens. could be almost anything but I would guess coon. A fox would eat the whole chicken. Could be a dog. I've been battling the dog problem.
Probably not a dog because the run is gated, I have not found any holes. It is pretty big though and some fence is covered w plants. So nothing likes butts and guts specifically? Looks like her skin got pulled off too.. I guess we'll have to see if any others fall victim, I was thinking we may have to keep them inside then. They will absolutely hate that. Hopefully it was an isolated incident....

Probably not a dog because the run is gated, I have not found any holes. It is pretty big though and some fence is covered w plants. So nothing likes butts and guts specifically? Looks like her skin got pulled off too.. I guess we'll have to see if any others fall victim, I was thinking we may have to keep them inside then. They will absolutely hate that. Hopefully it was an isolated incident....
Coon. Good luck.

Weasels mink family will not always kill all the birds, possum from my experience like to start at the back end and eat in.
I have had dog kills, they just killed them for fun, maybe you have wild dogs there?
Sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom