So Done with Button Quail

My buttons are living in the bottom of my 7' tall parakeet avary (4x8 ft area) They are so funny - there are 10 of them and they run en-masse every where they go.

They do fly up higher than I thought they would - sometimes it looks like hover-copter exercises or something. If they didn't have 7' of air space I know a few would have hurt themselves by now.

They are very comical to watch and I like the noises they make. Mine are about 5 wks old now...

I agree, the coturnix quail are much easier to keep. Not so flighty and good layers and easy to hatch also. I have about 25 of them and they will peck at each other occasionally, but they are much more calm than other quail!

Well they pop up when they are startled. Many people who are breeding them use short cages and pad the top with something. Otherwise they would have to be in a tall walk in enclosure to be tall enough not to bonk themselves when they fly up.

Really?

I had a cortunix fly away I thought darn that thing can fly lol, also my rosseta, jumbo, and tuxedo are EVIL BIRDS but that one darn A&M is very nice never trys to get away, doesnt scratch like others and will actually come to my hand when its in the cage (cause she thinks i have food ofcourse) plus when she stops laying i can put her in the pot cause shes so nice and plump

And how in the world do you get those little buggers out of the incubator and into the brooder without them running all over?? Please PLEASE give me some tips!!

Last night we thought we'd be smart about it, and we put a cardboard box over the incubator (with the box open at the top too) so when we lifted the bator lid, they'd be contained in the box and we could get them quickly. Three ran out one side and I got them. Couldn't find the fourth anywhere...until we took the box off and looked. Sadly, we had crushed it when we put the bator lid back on. We felt (and still do) absolutely HORRIBLE.

So any tips would be greatly appreciated because I have more to take out when I get home today. STOP ME BEFORE I KILL ANYMORE!!!
barnie.gif

I checked into shipping them and the box and express mail costs $45; you can only send them express. Cheaper to buy and hatch the eggs, really.

All the ones I'm hatching now are sold, but I'll be setting another hatch in about two weeks. If you want to pay that much for the shipping, then I would be happy to sell you some; just PM me.

Good luck with your quail breeding business!!!

Cindy

Yeah-buy eggs from Don Eizenberg-check out the Button Quail USA yahoo group for eggs
smile.png

I think I may have a home for 9 of the chicks-so happy.
I made a nice home outside for my adult pair, and I think mice ate them?!!! The wire holes were tiny, and one of the legs was missing and some ruffled feathers. I tell you-it keeps getting worse
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom