Silky aka the house chicken

Adavis8328

Songster
Aug 26, 2020
So I wish to brag a moment about my extremely intelligent 'HOUSE CHICKEN' yes this is what she truly believes she is! Lil grey is my silky, I have a mixed flock and ALL my silkys have taught themselves how to fly to get up into their nesting boxes and lil grey was the 1st to teach them ALL! she became the 'house chicken' thanks to the hubby not collecting the eggs when he SAID HE WAS last winter and BAM I went outside and she literally had 14 freaking eggs hoarded under her butt! 😑 so I took most from her but allowed the little eggs to stay but was forced to bring her inside due to the fact ITS WINTER and one thing led to another and before I knew it she was POTTY TRAINED! yes my chicken who everyone thinks is completely stupid WILL NOT POOP IN MY HOUSE N SCREAMS 1ST THING IN THE MORNING FOR ME TO WAKE UP TO GO OUTSIDE JUST LIKE MY RESUCE PIT BULL BARKS TO GO OUTSIDE! so clearly chickens are smarter than we give them credit for! She runs out the door does her business n comes when called! Hell! My DOG DOESNT DO THAT HALF THE TIME LOL! but my HOUSE CHICKEN WILL! When letting her out with her baby once I was putting on my boots, had 1 boot on 1 off she REALLY HAD TO GO and was making a big fuss! Screaming! So I let her out while holding her son, didn't see the red tail hawk, he grabbed my lil grey n was carrying her off when I LOST IT! I CHASED AFTER THEM WITH 1 BOOT ON WHILE HOLDING A CHICKEN SCREAMING TRYING TO JUMP UP TO GET MY BIRD BACK! After all, she's my all time favorite bird! So thank God he dropped my girl who ALWAYS comes when called but she didn't THAT DAY! She ran around my house *still running after her with her son in my arms n only 1 boot on, my neighbors r watching me, CLEARLY IM A COMPLETE NUT JOB OFFICIALLY NOW LOL* she runs around the house gets up next to it wiggles down in the grass next to my porch and throws her head flat into the ground n I rush up yelling her name she will not move! Acts like I'm not there, that's not her name, I don't know u lady, GO AWAY! I grabbed her thank God it was just a tiny amount of feathers she lost! That's ALL! She took a few days to go back to her normal self but again, chickens r smarter than we give them credit for at least mine r! Lol and yes I love to watch the faces of folks when I say I have a POTTY TRAINED SILKY chicken n no! I didn't TEACH HER SHE TAUGHT HERSELF WHILE STAYING INSIDE ON HER EGGS! now she just is allowed to come in and walk all around the house hang out n not have any accidents! My dog will lay there and BAM lil tiny grey comes walking across where he is laying at he's 91 POUNDS n she's no bigger than a fart n she OWNS this house n he knows it lol! side note when she's inside for the night for whatever reason she sleeps in a cage next to my bed, she watches TV with me a 64 inch and LOVES friends n when it's time for bed time n I cover her I get A LOT OF MOUTH n attitude because we joke she wasn't finished watching TV yet! 🤣😂 she's spoiled rotten as are ALL MY PETS and I swear no one could ever accuse me of not going above and beyond 🤣😂🤦🏼‍♀️ case in point my husband HATES that I'll bring the hurt or sick birds in the house each and every time n they sleep right next to us 😂🤣🤷🏼‍♀️

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200924-112048_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20200924-112048_Snapchat.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Snapchat-1365301735.jpg
    Snapchat-1365301735.jpg
    443 KB · Views: 27
I thought I had a smart house chicken (and I do), but yours sounds like an avian Einstein! Thank goodness you were able to rescue her; and what if the neighbors think you are a nut job? I'm often grateful to live in the country where no one can see me being crazy!

Thanks for sharing a great and heartwarming story -- along with those photos.

Back
Top Bottom