Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 793 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
We are having too much fun down here in the south. I can confirm Hu made it to first base!
HU
IMGP0019.JPG
Shadow Captain (SC raised Hu from a wee tyke)
IMGP0018.JPG
Poof Poof with a few chicks
IMGP0012.JPG
Shadow with a few more (first time mom and doing well)
IMGP0013.JPG
and Sherbert (she's been giving me red pyle babies with SC)
IMGP0021.JPG

I’d love some opinions (again lol)!

My chicks will be 6 weeks this week. They have been with my hen in a separate coop since the first week because my roos cuddled puddled too aggressively.

I can tell my hen wants out BAD and back to her original coop. She seems miserable with the chicks (I would be too cooped up with 10 teenagers lol).

Should I return the hen to her original coop? With the chicks? Alone?

It’s warming up here so I think the chicks would be okay alone overnight, even though they aren’t fully feathered. But wondering if putting them in the main coop at the same time as mom would help the flock accept them?

I always return them to the original pen with mom. My flocks do just fine with that. I do have to teach them to go inside the new house the first few nights. That's easier if she's actually still caring for them so I prefer around 4-5 weeks. Never had acceptance issues

I always return them to the original pen with mom. My flocks do just fine with that. I do have to teach them to go inside the new house the first few nights. That's easier if she's actually still caring for them so I prefer around 4-5 weeks. Never had acceptance issues
That’s exactly the encouragement I need to give it a try lol. Fingers crossed! Thank you!

Oh is hatching time, I'm going to be brokeeeeee... I rescued several eggs from General Lee's pen after they fell from the nest where two of the ladies are sitting. He's got 4 ladies in all, and I don't know which hen this came from. One is his daughter, and two are f2's out of Lancelot and another daughter of the General. Hatched with full beard, cheek puffs and a 'do'. Light skinned is the only problem at this point.
IMGP0003.JPG
IMGP0004.JPG

Back
Top Bottom