Sex-link breeding questions

Lutz Acres

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2020
We are trying to get our next gen of layer hens so in addition to buying chicks we are trying to hatch some from our own. We do this all the time and will be fine with whatever mutts they turn out to be but I’m confused on how the genetics work of it all…
We have a Sapphire gem rooster in with
- Rhode Island Reds
- Sapphire Gems
From my research since sapphire gems are sex-links they won’t breed to make more sapphire gems. So why is this and what will it make? And with the Rhode Island’s? I would imagine either way the offspring would be good egg layers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    684.7 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    662 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    411.4 KB · Views: 10
Sex-link breeding only works with the first cross because a solid rooster over a barred hen produces barred sons and solid daughters, which is the opposite of what you need to create future sex-links. Sapphire gem also isn't a breed rather a trademark name for first generation crosses just like other sex-link chickens such ISA brown, cinnamon queen, golden comets, black star etc. the name is more a product name rather than a breed name which is why their offspring couldn't/shouldn't be called sapphire gems

so thankful you posted your question because I had the same curiosity. Thankful also to those who answered. Currently I have sapphire gem rooster with a RIR hen and I also have a barred rock and other hens I may try to cross him with. Wondering if you have any picture updates of the chickens you ended up with?

Hi, I had the same idea about the sapphire gems. Could you share your results? I'm really curious about the sapphire gems offspring.

Back
Top Bottom