Scared to death pigeons

thewarriorchild

Songster
11 Years
Mar 29, 2008
Ringwood area, NJ
If you read under predators you will see I have had a vicious horrifying bear attack. My pigeons landed in the coop yard last night but while I was at work the bear was back and now they are on the roof of the house. I am not sure what to do? Trap em and keep em inside for a while? Put them in the coop? Let them sleep outside? I have a flock of like 13. I found pigeon feathers we thing on the ground today so I wonder if we lost one or one is hurt. They are SO scared. I HATE THAT BEAR!!

Thanks for your ideas!
Oh, theirs was the first section the bear went through.
I would not consider the coop safe yet and they used to fly in and out of the window the bear came in. I am considering adding escape hatches to the coop so if something gets in while they are locked in for the night I could provide an escape.

Trap and move them inside. Easy prey for all the owls at night.

Never had to deal with a bear. Pigeon dont like to fly at night. They will set on their perch, will a coon picking them off one at a time. escape doors are just another way in for a predator to get in.

Trap how? We lost at least two and I was to scared to go all the way in the coop to see what was in there tonight. I saw some in there. I did leave the window open a bit, they know how to get in and out that way. I would rather them in the coop then not.

What if it was part of the roof or something that never is open exceptin an extreme case like mine?

Personally, I would make the coop as racoon proof as possible and put an electric fence for a perimeter to deter bears and larger animals. I know one of my dogs nabbed a turkey from a fence one night, and was happily eating it while the other turkeys were perched just above on a 4' fence. Chickens are the same way, and if pigeons are the same, if they wake up at all they will probably just fly around in a panic and not go out the emergency exit. Your best bet is to make it predator proof.

Back
Top Bottom