S.O.S! JAPANESE BEETLES! šŸ˜­

I had a small spray bottle tsp of neem oil diluted with coconut oil, bit of witch hazel, drop of soap and filled the rest with water. Ends of my basil leaves turned black and curled. The plant had no previous damage.

Try Sevin either dust or spray. Japanese beetles can't handle it. Keep it away from flowers as it is toxic to bees.
I really try hard to steer away from chemicals especially chemical pesticides but I may try it. I feel it is temporary though. Killing the adults. I would love a deterrent or some nematodes to kill the larvae in the soil. Anyone ever used nematodes before?

This won't help you this year, but you can get rid of Japanese Beetles for 20 to 30 years by using milky spore disease. You buy it at garden centers or online. It's a bacteria that affects the grubs of Japanese beetles in your soil. It kills the grubs, and when they die they release a lot more bacteria to the soil. It takes about three years for the bacteria to increase enough that you have no more Japanese beetles at all. It grows out in circles around your property into your neighbors. Eventually it's grown out so far, that there are no Japanese beetle grubs around to keep it alive, so you have to replace it in 20 to 30 years. They say 20 years, but it worked 30 years for me. So I did it again after 30 years of being Japanese beetle free.

In the meantime, you can use Japanese beetle traps, and/or pyrethrum spray. But nothing is as good is milky spore.

The only thing I found effective in my experience is Neem oil. And that's only if I start before a full invasion comes in I try to spray when I first start seeing them. The only problem is that it will burn your plants if it's sprayed on them in full sunlight in high temperatures. The best time to spray them is early early morning or late in the evening
I've actually heard of people taking small shop vac's in sucking up squash bugs I wonder if that works for Japanese beetles

This won't help you this year, but you can get rid of Japanese Beetles for 20 to 30 years by using milky spore disease. You buy it at garden centers or online. It's a bacteria that affects the grubs of Japanese beetles in your soil. It kills the grubs, and when they die they release a lot more bacteria to the soil. It takes about three years for the bacteria to increase enough that you have no more Japanese beetles at all. It grows out in circles around your property into your neighbors. Eventually it's grown out so far, that there are no Japanese beetle grubs around to keep it alive, so you have to replace it in 20 to 30 years. They say 20 years, but it worked 30 years for me. So I did it again after 30 years of being Japanese beetle free.

In the meantime, you can use Japanese beetle traps, and/or pyrethrum spray. But nothing is as good is milky spore.
Iā€™m so intrigued by this. Do you just till it into the soil? Spring or fall? Is it harmful to nearby pets or wells or any other plant life?

Back
Top Bottom