Rooster and High Calcium feed debate!

RoosterML

🥇Ukraine 🥇
5 Years
Nov 5, 2018
Tolland County Connecticut, USA
I made the switch as many have to an All Flock type product due to the high calcium content of layer feed and potential negative impact the high calcium may have on the rooster.
I was reading the label of Purina Feather Fixer and saw that it said that it can be feed to near laying hens and rooster of 16 weeks + in age. So what gives? I don’t believe I have seen any other feed specifically listed as “rooster” feed.
Now I am assuming that if it would in fact have a negative impact on a rooster that a feed company would not take the chance and list it as such. Calcium content runs 3.25-3.75% just like nearly any layer feed I have seen. So could it be that all this no no no layer feed for the rooster is not true. I really doubt a feed company would list it as such on the bag if it was bad to them.:idunno

Now I am assuming that if it would in fact have a negative impact on a rooster that a feed company would not take the chance and list it as such. Calcium content runs 3.25-3.75% just like nearly any layer feed I have seen. So could it be that all this no no no layer feed for the rooster is not true.
Actually... it's both true but also fear mongered a LOT! :)

It's a very personal choice. Some people never feed anything but layer and still have roosters living past 7 and 8 years old without any noticeable effect. That's a pretty long life!

More than 3% calcium should not be fed long term to ANY bird NOT in lay or it *could* cause issues including gout and even kidney failure or death...

MAYBE they are considering the "feather fixer" a short term ration??? They likely aren't worried about being sued because most people won't get necropsy's done to determine cause of death in roosters. They will assume something like heart attack. Even with a necropsy proving fault of the feed company would be difficult I'm sure. Traditionally feather fixer has a little more protein (than layer maybe also amino acids), and it USED to have sulfur to combat parasites.

However, it (excess calcium) is *MOST* likely to be a problem for birds who may genetically be predisposed to it in some way... and often with no access to other forage.

In reality, too high of protein (above 30%) fed long term could also cause a different type of gout and kidney failure.

I personally choose to feed my roosters without the added calcium... as the risk simply isn't worth it to me. I have too much funds, time, and energy invested into my breeding stock. But more than that also because I constantly have younger birds, broodies, chicks, molting hens and so on... it's just easier to provide something that works for everyone and a side dish of oyster shell... where the ones who need it can access and the ones who don't might sample but won't be forced to eat it in every bite as an empty filler and possibly to their detriment.

Cool that you saw that... I hadn't seen any feeds list rooster, but it's been a long time since I was looking at feeds... and then I was most interested in ingredients and guaranteed analysis. :thumbsup

Please note, I'm not a fear monger... I did research and FULLY believe excess calcium CAN and will cause issues for some birds.
http://ucanr.edu/sites/poultry/files/186894.pdf

Do what makes you comfortable with your current knowledge. If you change your mind switch it up. :pop

So this calcium issue seems to be a problem for me this past month.. This is my 8th year havbing chickens, and plenty of rooster's, and never has this happened until this spring! I have lost 4 rooster's in the past month, and another one seems to be falling ill with the same problem. They die in 2 days! Just rooster's, no hens. At first I worried they had a flu, but no hens are succumbing to this problem. It has to then be the calcium, right?? The rooster's have all have black spots on their combs, then they turn rough a dull looking which begins to turn a dark reddish-purply color once they start getting sick. They get listless in just a day, and die within the following 24 hrs. I have been using Puritan's Pride, but just switched back to Nutrena. Yet another rooster is still going to die. What else could it be, and how can I save him with emergency care before it gets too far?

I've emailed a couple food manufacturers about this. Their sales reps at least seem utterly oblivious to it as a potential issue. To the point of not actually understanding what im talking about.
Moral of the story is don't trust manufacturers recommendations. Take charge of your chickens health as you see fit.

Back
Top Bottom