Roost placement...

cosmomcnugget

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 8, 2007
I keep reading different things about where the roost should be placed, but I am still a little lost.

How much head room should there be?

Should I put one out in their yard too (for nicer weather)?

I understand that there should be a min of 8" per hen, but is it better to be one long one or a few shorter ones, does it matter?

How high off the house floor is ideal? It I am doing deep litter method do I need to adjust this in someway?

Thanks so much!!

(I will post a picture of my set up soon, I have been spending so much time putting in the fence etc. I haven't had a chance to take any pictures yet.)

I have a 8 x 8 coop I placed 1 8' roost at 7', 6' and 4' Most uses the 7' and the 6' very few use the 4' and a few still roost on the ground

Wow! The pamphlet I read said to not make roosts more than 30" off the ground; do they have fatter, less fit chickens than you do, Bee??!!

That said, the tractor I bought has the roosts at around 48" high, but I have game hens and I'm thinking 10' wouldn't bother them at all.

What is the recommended "head room"? When my chickens are put in the "bad weather box" portion of my tractor, they never roost on the bar in there; it is about 12" from the ceiling, and now I'm wondering if that's why they don't like it?

Great questions, Cosmo!

I started with them at 14" and 28" but I kept finding them in the rafters of the coop so I installed them at 7', 6', 4' and a good 90% of the birds roost now.

Cosmo, I think I would also put some near the ground since I don't know what type of birds you have. Are any of your birds a heavier breed that would need a lower roost to avoid hurting their legs or keel area? This was a great question. I've learned something new today and my babies will benefit from it!
big_smile.png

Thanks everybody!
I have an araucana, RIR, australorp(?), and a barred rock.

Unfortunately my coop is no where near as big as these discussed here. I should have explained my set up a little better.

The coop (not including the nest box) is only 4' x 5' and not more than 3.5' tall at the peak. So, now you see where the head room question comes in
smile.png

photos058.jpg

Chickens like to get as high as they can get. Also the higher the roost the better in the winter since heat rises.

Hey suburbanhomesteader what part of southern Dallas county are you in?

Wes, I'm in Lancaster. I'm a stone's throw from the intersection of I-35E and I-20; just moved here from Indiana and got a great deal on a tiny but nice little house (cottage? shack? depends on if you're a real estate agent!!) sitting on 3/4 acre in a....a....ummm....well, an "economically depressed, culturally diverse" neighborhood!

Back
Top Bottom