Questions about worming.

Somewhere_In_The_Clouds

🎶I'm scared to die, but I'm too afraid to live 🎶
Premium Feather Member
Nov 12, 2022
Australia
Discovered yesterday that my chickens have roundworms. I have Kilverm and a couple questions about using it.
  1. I am full prepared to use it as the instructions say but if possible I would rather directly dose each chicken. I don't really want to have to keep them all contained to their pens (so they only have one medicated water source) though. And I am concerned about whether they will get the correct doses. This website has some direct doses, but doesn't specify how much to give if your chicken's weight falls between the listed weights. How much do I give if they're 3kg? Use the higher or lower dose or how do I figure out the correct dose??
  2. I have five 4 month old pullets, this is ok to worm them with? They're on the small side which could likely be due to having worms.
  3. I recently, this last week, bought two silkies cockerels. These two have not been in contact with my other chickens, and the ground their run is on briefly had some of my others on it a few months ago. But question is should I worm these two when I don't know if they have worms? They came with bugs in their feathers so I wouldn't be entirely surprise if they have worms too.
ETA: I forgot to mention that almost all of them have received a dusting with Pestene recently as the start of mite treatment, is this going to affect anything?

Just read the link to the product listed here and says it's "Levimasole" and says there is "Nil" period of withholding poultry eggs.... ?!
I JUST read an older post about worming with this drug and it stated that "recent" studies had increased the period for even longer than previously stated which was at least a week- don't want to start this over to back up and quote specifically ;-) (since I'm not trying to actually use this drug!)

Also, can anyone please help me understand why you don't want to feed those eggs back to the chickens at least?? In general after using wormers- I've used Fenbendazole and Valbazen. Not sure I've ever seen an actual reason for that yet-but do remember seeing someone mention "and don't give them back to the chickens either!"
I have however, seen reasons about us using them and possible drug interactions....

Just curious as I have chickens who may need to be wormed again AND who need supplemental eggs themselves...

Back
Top Bottom