Question for Lab Owners

Queen of the Lilliputians

Songster
12 Years
Apr 5, 2007
Maine
Since there seem to be so many of us that love this breed here, I thought I'd ask you my 'burning' question. LOL!

I have a choc lab/husky mix. We've been PACK now for 8 years (since he was 7wks old). He's super friendly, and LOOOOVVVEES people. And he's about the most laid-back dog I've ever seen.

My 2nd dog is a purebred choc lab. She is a very serious girl. She's been part of the PACK for 3 years. She also is very friendly to people, but SUPER SUPER protective. She WILL NOT let people in the door unless she knows them REALLY well. She tends to be a little high strung, and barks at stray noises. Of the two, she is clearly the Alpha, although both dogs know that I am pack leader, and that they fall below the humans in the house hierarchy.

I realize that dogs, like people, all are very individual. But is protective-ness a breed trait for labs? I can't recall seeing anywhere that this is something these guys are known for. My girl dog also tends to be much more a one-person dog, and follows me through the house for most of the day.

On a side note.. she is epileptic. Any info you folks have on the progression of that, too, would be appreciated. Her last seizure was very mild (she doesn't lose conciousness, so I managed to keep her very calm), but she had 2 in a row. Is that better than the major ones, or worse?

TIA.
Meg

Last edited:
The book "The Natural Encylopedia of Natural Pet Care" by C.J Puotinen has a section on epilepsy in it. You might also check out Dr. Picairn's book-not sure about the title.
I don't think protectiveness is supposed to be a lab trait. It sounds like your lab has alot of health issues, which can affect personality.
BTW, I have a ten year old lab/shepherd mix. He looks and acts scary when people come over, but he actually loves most people!

My niece and my girlfriend both have dogs that have epilepsy. One dog is a dalmation and the other dog is a shepherd.

Both dogs are on medication the vet prescribed. Both dogs are doing well. I don't know the name of the medication is but your vet will if you decide to go that course.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have 4 chocolate labs and 3 are purebred. This breed of dog is very friendly but very loyal to their owners. One thing i have found is they really need to have socialization or they become very defensive. I think this is true for most hunting type dogs. They need to be around other people, with their owners so they are not fearful of strangers or other dogs. I had a irish setter with epilepsy a few years ago . You need to talk with your vet about why your dog is having seizures and what course of action to take.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, guys!

I do think before coming to us that she was fed, watered, kept warm, and not much else, although she has great dog & people manners (Doesn't let people in the door, but once she realizes that they are on the 'Good' list, she is fine and friendly.). I hope I didn't imply that she was horribly threatening, because she isn't. Just protective.

And she does seem to have more health probs than our other dog, although nothing that seems extraordinary. I do know that she was the 'runt' of the litter. Overall, though, she is a terrific girl.

Thanks again. Gotta love them labs!

Meg

Back
Top Bottom