Quail After Hawk Attack

Yes, in a pinch the neosporin will work. Terramycin is the ointment of choice for the eye, but if you cannot get any use neosporin as long as it doesn’t have pain relief. Keep flushing the eye before applying and removing any pus you see, as you’ve done already.

I’ve removed all the pus that I’ve seen throughout the day, but her eye is still very swollen. Is this because there’s pus that I’m not getting, or because of another reason?

Here are some pictures of her eye.

Attachments

• IMG_3217.jpeg
    IMG_3217.jpeg
    447.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3218.jpeg
    IMG_3218.jpeg
    433.8 KB · Views: 11
I’ve removed all the pus that I’ve seen throughout the day, but her eye is still very swollen. Is this because there’s pus that I’m not getting, or because of another reason?

Here are some pictures of her eye.
That looks a lot worse than this morning. Do you have access to a vet that could take a look? She may need an antibiotic. Here are some others who may be able to help: @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock - sorry I don’t know anyone who specifically has quail that could help, but these people are very, very smart.

@007Sean might be able to help. This is outside of my experience.
I have never had a bird attacked by a hawk, just raccoons....but if it was mine, I would probably just cull it. I've had birds recover from being fully scalped by raccoons, it took several months for them to heal fully.
If you have the ability to give it constant care until it gets better, then follow the advice that has already been given. I don't have any better ideas than what has already been posted.
ETA -- a vet visit would be best.

Last edited:
I'm sorry about your Quail.

Did you put any ointment into the eye or just clean out the pus?

Apply a warm saline compress to the eye, clean out any pus, then put ointment into the eye. Original Neosporin is fine to use if you don't have Terramycin eye ointment.

Since the hawk hit and her too, she may have also flushed and hit her head. Hard to know.
Quail are quite fragile and is she bonked her head, she may have a hard time recovering.

I'd give the sugar water if that's what you have, but I'd also begin giving vitamin therapy as soon as possible. 400IU Vitamin E along with 1/4 tablet B-Complex.

Can she stand and walk at all?

I'm sorry about your Quail.

Did you put any ointment into the eye or just clean out the pus?

Apply a warm saline compress to the eye, clean out any pus, then put ointment into the eye. Original Neosporin is fine to use if you don't have Terramycin eye ointment.

Since the hawk hit and her too, she may have also flushed and hit her head. Hard to know.
Quail are quite fragile and is she bonked her head, she may have a hard time recovering.

I'd give the sugar water if that's what you have, but I'd also begin giving vitamin therapy as soon as possible. 400IU Vitamin E along with 1/4 tablet B-Complex.

Can she stand and walk at all?
I’ve been putting original neosporin on her eye. I’ll start giving her vitamins as soon as I get them.
She can stand. She seems to be walking fine, she’s been walking backwards to poop.

I’ve been putting original neosporin on her eye. I’ll start giving her vitamins as soon as I get them.
She can stand. She seems to be walking fine, she’s been walking backwards to poop.
Did you put it on the eye or in the eye? Put the ointment into the eye.

Back
Top Bottom