Parrot people need your advice

Crazy4Chicks

Songster
12 Years
Nov 20, 2007
Glendale, AZ
I have a Quaker parrot Pollie ( yea I know - but she came with that name ) I would like to build her an outside cage - with plenty of natural branches for perches and a birdbath, you know a birdie spa - she loves going outside but it is always just me putting her cage out there - I would like to build something where she has alot of room to move around and give her a break from being in the same old cage all the time.
It needs to have a door so I can get her in and out - she will only be in there during the day and when I am home to watch her I would also like to put some plants in there but not sure what would be safe for her to eat - any ideas?

does anyone have a picture of an outside bird cage I might be able to get ideas from?

Julie

I found some beautiful ones that you could copy at a cheaper price then what they have... just google outdoor aviaries.
big_smile.png

I plan on using the Hardwire cloth with the tiny holes to keep the little birds out - but I really dont think they will be a problem since they are to busy stealing food from the chickens/ducks lol

Julie

My African Grey goes outside all day long. I bring him in at night or if it is to cold he stays in. Although he will ask EVERYTIME I walk by his cage "Can I go outside?"

It is good for them to get outdoors and into the sunshine!!! To bad you are not closer I have a door for you for your flight!
smile.png

hi there!
what a nice idea for your bird.
i, personally, would be to nervous to do it with my own parrots but if you build a rodent-proof enclosure with a top on it to keep wild birds from being able to poop into the enclosure you should be okay (the wild bird poop thing IS significant - wild birds carry tons of diseases . . .).
if your bird is flighted build something that has two-door system. you step in, close the first door behind you and then open the door to the actual aviary.
in terms of plants . . . be super careful and do lots of research. the ONLY plant i will keep around my critters are rubber tree plants, pony tail palms and jade plants.
good luck and keep it safe.
smile.png

I have a small hobby farm, I have 2 Cockatoos, 2 conures about 15 lovebirds (they have been in love!) 4 parakeets and a Derbyan Parakeet.

I have about 11 acres. I acquired an old corncrib for about $100.00 and lined it with smaller wire. and covered the top so they could not get out. We used a sawzall to get a door put in.

We are in Iowa, so the birds can only be outside during the late spring to early fall months, but it is huge. We have used willow tree branches that our vet recommended to give the birds perches, lots of space for vertical and horizontal flight. It has worked out perfectly. As far as a smaller one for 1 bird. I would just get some 2 x 4's framed square and line it with wire small enough so your bird can not get out or bite through it.

Hope that helps. Tamie

Back
Top Bottom