Our neighbor dropped off a gosling at our house - HELP

Nood Noodle

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2022
Our neighbor dropped off what I THINK is a gosling at our house. He said he found the baby lonely running along the street with no parents or other chicks nearby. We were the only ones he knew that had backyard poultry so he gave it to us. My mother decided to keep it.

The problem is that we have no idea what to do. We have no idea on how to raise geese and will probably be leaving the little guy at a wildlife place soon. I need advice on how to keep the baby alive for now. It doesn't look too good and refuses to drink water. I can't tell if it's scared, dehydrated, sick, or all of it.

Attachments

• IMG_20230512_181920978.jpg
    IMG_20230512_181920978.jpg
    596.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20230512_181741580.jpg
    IMG_20230512_181741580.jpg
    439.5 KB · Views: 11
Definitely get it to a wildlife rehabber ASAP, because that does look like a Canada gosling and it is illegal to possess one unless you are a rehabber. Plus, if it at all has a chance at release, you really don't want it becoming too accustomed to humans.

For now, it will need a brooder to live in, just like chicks do. Heat on one end, so a heat lamp or heat plate. For food, a chick starter with a high enough niacin content such as Naturewise can be offered. Or any chick starter, as long as you supplement niacin, such as by adding nutritional yeast.

Trying getting it warm and see if it perks up.

Back
Top Bottom