NPIP certification in Alabama...

Being NPIP does mean diddly squat. You obtain a number that is used and a form you fill out as to quantities, type and so forth. My inspector signs a bunch of them each year for me. This is all you need. I put that form in with eggs shipped or hand it to the buyer of birds. It's not hard nor as paperwork burdensome as the list above suggest.

If you read all that fine print you'll note that what you get as NPIP participant allows you to ship to all states.

I inquired on another thread about import permits, certificate of veterinary inspection and etc. I think I worded it out poorly. For my state, eggs just need to have some form of certificate come with them, such as NPIP or a certificate of veterinary inspection etc. So at least to my state either is acceptable, doesn't need both. I'm not sure about other states though. Looks like I'll have to look into it state by state. I'm researching this cause I'm looking into selling eggs in the future just like the OP is. My main question now is about import permits, only the seller has to deal with that part right? The buyer doesn't need to do anything regarding import permits? Of course they can't clearly spell that out in the rules, but that's what it looked like to me. I just want to be sure. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well since I couldn't get an answer I emailed my state's board of animal health. They said the out of state seller is the one that needs the import permit. Every state is different, already knew that, but I saw on an old thread someone saying for those in CT the buyer needs to have one. Alabama looked pretty "easy" being they seem to only require NPIP based on the stuff I looked through. Some states have such high requirements I probably won't bother selling to those, at least until I get a handle on stuff. It kind of amazes me because I've seen ebay listings and many if not most of them aren't restricting any sales to certain states, so I wonder did they jump through all the loops to legally be able to ship to every state or what? I've seen one say they won't ship to CA because of the Newcastle outbreak. Movement of eggs and such are restricted in the afflicted area. I wonder if there's a place where you can get regular updates on states that are currently good to ship to or not? Cause it seems like info about stuff is sparse and people just kind of have to stumble upon it. I'd rather not deal with problems if I can avoid it.

:DI'm npip in Alabama. Not much to it. They test at least 30 birds and tag their legs with a metal band. A drop of blood and then a qtip from the mouth and done. You have to catch your birds for them. I just dont let them out that day. Sorry I'm just now typing all this but I just joined. O and my fee was $10 by check. I'm here if you need me.:cool:
Hi Christy, James from Alabama to. IF I buy from a NPIP certified farm do I have to get tested?

Hi! :frow
I’m looking into becoming NPIP, but really more for selling and shipping duck eggs. Maybe silkie chicken eggs as well. I’m aware with NPIP the whole flock has to be tested.... So, the link below says all adult birds must be tested. What about young Poultry?
http://www.agi.alabama.gov/docs/def...rovement-plan-(npip)BF1DBFCB10DD.pdf?sfvrsn=0

If anyone is willing to educate me on the process it’d be very much appreciated! :D

Btw, I have chickens, quail, ducks, and guineas- how will they manage to catch the guineas?? They won’t go into a coop no matter how hard I try, so basically they’d spend hours chasing them around 12+ Acres all day.

Thanks in advance,
~ Kayla
Varies by State.

In FL, its "adult breeding birds" they want to test, interpretation tends to vary with inspector. Mine tested a Roo at 17 weeks, and a few of his female siblings, plus everyone older - and didn't test ANY of my ducks... Either time.

Hi Christy, James from Alabama to. IF I buy from a NPIP certified farm do I have to get tested?
If you do not sell, ship or transport interstate then testing is not required. The NPIP seller keeps records for the state of where the birds go. Typically they provide you with a form on sale for your record that lists number of birds, age and origin. No further testing on those birds is needed if they stay with you.

NPIP is a measure to reduce the spread of disease. By keeping a database of the movement of poultry those birds can be located if disease is observed in a flock. The paper trail is followed in both directions to the limit of the contagion coverage. NPIP started in 1930 during widespread pullorum disease that was killing 80% of our nations young birds. It's a needed and effective program as long as individual states don't corrupt the process. This National program is administered by each state individually. If rising fees, unneeded bureaucratic hurdles, or overextension of the programs authority arise in states then less people will adhere to the program. The program should never include food safety, shelter standards, zoning regulations or any of the other additions many individual states are implementing. For the program to maintain efficacy it needs to strictly adhere to it's purpose, be easy to register into and be affordable. The contrary is occurring to the effect of fewer private flock owner participants.

:DI'm npip in Alabama. Not much to it. They test at least 30 birds and tag their legs with a metal band. A drop of blood and then a qtip from the mouth and done. You have to catch your birds for them. I just dont let them out that day. Sorry I'm just now typing all this but I just joined. O and my fee was $10 by check. I'm here if you need me.:cool:
Can you tell me who to contact in Alabama?

Can I contact and arrange for the testing online?

Back
Top Bottom