Not new, but haven't been around much!

Quote:
Hi Ms Ellen
smile.png
Our house is a multi-level, so it was a bummer trying to figure out what to do. We are on an acreage though, that is my FIL's, and really didn't want to/have much of a choice (I guess you could say) to move. Our house is also just 4 years old, so we had to do an addition, versus tear down/rebuild. Gabe is only 2 1/2 right now, so it was working for me to carry him up and down stairs, but as he got older, it would have been hard-not to mention even now, I worry that I'm going to step wrong, or slip, etc and fall with him.

Our addition cost alot more then what we were anticipating-even more then the actual "bid." We did a 20' by 24' addition, with full basement underneath-so that included tearing out the existing basement wall, cement pouring, framing, finishwork, etc. We ran into some electrical problems-as in, the main wire got cut during the digging process...so electrical was more, plumbing more etc. I would definitely get a couple of quotes/bids if you are adding on-I do not regret our addition, and it was a friend/neighbor that owns a construction business, that did it, but cost can vary.

We did not put a roll in shower in, but instead opted for an "Air" tub. Little holes throughout the bottom of the tub, which creates a whirlpool type motion of water, without getting that whirlpool "pressure" which could get irritating. Gabe has Dystonic Quadriplegic Cerebral Palsy-so every limb is affected, and he gets quite "tight" with his muscle tone. We figured the tub would really help, and would be much easier for me to use. In order to be able to do the tub though, we did install a track system in the ceiling. It has a remote lift/lower and the slings you can get can vary in size/material, so the one we have now can lower him directly into the tub, and he can be bathed "in" the sling itself. The track system runs from over his crib (bed later) into the bathroom, and over to the toilet, then tub.

Where are you guys located at? Sorry I got so long in my explanation-I'm usually long winded
gig.gif

Thanks Brahmamama that is interesting about the track. The hospital uses a Hoya lift (not sure how to spell that) that operates on the same principle but has wheels BUT you couldn't swing into a tub or over a toilet because the legs of the lift have to roll under what ever you are lifting. I like the track idea. No equipment to store and take up room.

We live in Virginia near Richmond and our son is in Children's Hospital here. It is a very good facility. We were lucky we got him in. We were desperate and had no where to send him. He was living in the hospital. That bumped us to the top of the waiting list though.

We had him home today and had a party with his friends. He is still a bit too sick to move home though at this point. We are doing pretty well handling him. Our situation is much different, he was a heathy active boy who had a tragic accident in March and is now total care and only minimally responsive. So we have not had time to "grow" into this but were thrust in suddenly. We have a lot to learn.

Brahma- Glad to see you back, although I haven't been around much for a few months either. I will be hoping for your girl:fl
That sounds like a HUGE undertaking with the remodel. It will be a godsend in the longrun though. Creampuff is gorgeous!! His daddy is also.

ms ellen- I am so sorry to hear of your sons accident.
hugs.gif
I cannot imagine what your family is going through. I will keep them in my prayers. How old is he? If you don't mind my asking. DH is a contractor and he is always adamant about people getting at least three bids on anything, AND making sure they are licensed AND there are no complaints against them. If they want all the money up front, run! There are laws about how much they can ask for up front, here in CA I THINK it is 10%. So many people get shaffted in remodels. Be careful.

Monica

Thank you Monica
hugs.gif

Ms ellen, I'm so sorry to hear about his accident. No matter how it happens, it's never an easy adjustment. Your life changes-plain and simple. I can't imagine having something happen to one of my other boys though-with Gabe, we had the time in the hospital after his birth to somewhat "adjust." It's harder, when I think about the fact that he was "normal" in my tummy, and the CP happened because of the lack of oxygen, but at least I didn't "know" him before-I don't know I'm probably rambling now, which happens alot.

Have you read the "The Special Mother" or "Welcome to Holland?" Not books or anything, more like poem/readings, but they have helped me through some dark moments.

well welcome back... it has grown a lot.. in the last few months.

I am so glad that your able to do that for your son.. My continued prayers for your son and family.

Last edited:
Thanks Brahmamama, I have read those articles as I already have an adopted SN son, now 15. That son is an amputee with multiple birth defects and some birth injury, mainly his memory. You might never know though unless you looked twice at him. My other son that had the accident is 16. We had him home the last two days quite a lot, though not overnight so we didn't do the baths. It was a lot of work and lots of lifting but he was very happy being home, you could tell. People always ask me how I can tell but I can. His expressions change. I had to get the neighbors to help lift him though.

We still do not know what we will do about the house. There are just too many small rooms for a wheelchair. One neighbor tells me that the wall between the family room and living room is not a weight bearing wall and could easily be removed, so that is one good thing. Still the bed rooms are upstairs (typical 4 up, 4 down kind of house.) I have great neighbors here and a lot of planting. Mature fruit trees too. One down side is the chickens are not really legal here and no roos. I could use more land for the ever expanding veggie garden too. On the other hand this is the neighborhood my son grew up in and loves. Both sons actually. So I go back and fourth and never decide. DH is just too upset to deal with all this too.

Back
Top Bottom