New to raising backyard birds

Welcome! You'll have so much fun with your chickens. It's a little creepy to find the remains of dead chickens in the coop!!!

I'm having a similar problem. One of my girls had a bacterial infection due to internal laying/salpingitis and now at least one of my remaining 8 girls has the same thing. I had already bought some new chicks before realizing what was going on.

There is no place to relocate our coop. I'll be digging out the old dirt as best as possible. I like the flame thrower idea. Maybe I can singe the dirt that isn't loose. I read that most e-coli prefers acidic soil so I may add a layer of lime before putting in new sand. Need to research that in case it could harm the chickens. :(

Welcome! You'll have so much fun with your chickens. It's a little creepy to find the remains of dead chickens in the coop!!!

I'm having a similar problem. One of my girls had a bacterial infection due to internal laying/salpingitis and now at least one of my remaining 8 girls has the same thing. I had already bought some new chicks before realizing what was going on.

There is no place to relocate our coop. I'll be digging out the old dirt as best as possible. I like the flame thrower idea. Maybe I can singe the dirt that isn't loose. I read that most e-coli prefers acidic soil so I may add a layer of lime before putting in new sand. Need to research that in case it could harm the chickens. :(
I think using a flame thrower for salpingitis is overkill, pardon my expression. Wouldn't you want to just isolate those infected, treat them with antibiotics, then disinfect the coop with bleach, vinegar, Odoban, etc.?

The OP was dealing with something unknown, so it could have been one of any number of things.

One of my girls had a bacterial infection due to internal laying/salpingitis and now at least one of my remaining 8 girls has the same thing.
Salpingitis is not a communicable disease. It's an infection. It would be extremely unlikely that your remaining 8 birds have it.

Back
Top Bottom