Never again will I do chukar . . .

I Really Believe The Climate Has Alot To Do With It. That And Space. I Have Tried Chukar Twice In As Many Years They Are Absolute Asassins Covered In Feathers. Now I Am Down Here In The Brutal Heat And Humidity, And I Know Chickenwisperer Is In Southern California (another Hot Climate) Granted With Proper Space And Hides It Shouldnet Be A Problem, But 4 Birds In A 20x20x6 Pen? I Think Thats Plenty Of Space. It Was Big Enough That It Took Them At Least 3 Wks To Acclimate To It Before They Started Hunting Each Other Down...

Quote:
I just hatched 17 chukars 3 weeks ago, they'll go out of the brooder tomorrow, we'll see how they'll do bt next summer, (if most of them avoids my freezer by then) LOL

Any way I am going to keep just a few breeders for further egg to meat production.

I did not eat Bobwithes yet, so far Chukar is the ultimate gourmet meat for me.

And remember that ....

chukarfordinner002.jpg

Ok, so MAAAAYBE Ill get some more chukar eggs next year.
Now that they are all processed and in the freezer, they really arent so bad . . .

I been eatin chukar every night since I posted that pic, and I gotta say- They are THE BEST eatin bird I ever ate . . .
The taste is amazing, the texture is perfect, and there is just enough meat on 1 chukar for a satisfying meal for one person(with the addition of side dishes of course.

Now that they dont taste like the bagged feed anymore, I cant get enough.

I guess they arent a bird I can keep to self-produce more, but I got the hookup at the breeders place, so raising to 16 weeks/maturity is not that bad really.

I love chukar!

PS- right now, I am baking a chukar and making crockpot chukar stew for tomoro!
Oh, and my dogs love all the boiled giblets and resulting "chukar juice"!

HEY EVERYBODY- FEED YOUR CHUKAR GRASS/RABBIT PELLETS AND CORN FOR 2 WEEKS BEFORE YOU EAT THEM, YOU WILL BE PLEASANTLY SURPRISED !!!!

Quote:
Yea, your idea of frrding them alfalfa and grain before butchering makes sense, more tasty fat on carcass!!

I am surely going to try that. I am testing bunch of gamebirds now for taste, and if Chukars will come on the top I will just take proper notice!!!

Remember that......

So once they get to maturity, they pretty much pick each other to death.
I have lost so many birds in the last 2 weeks to this it aint even funny . . .

I have seperated them, I have tried to seperate by sex as best I could.
I seperated by extent-of-picking, and I seperated by putting pickERS in together . . .

Chukars are a pain-in-the-@$$, I am planning on processing them all next Sunday, one . . . more . . . week . . .

I wont even get into the amount of food they require . . .

I think if they were all debeaked, things would be different, but that is a lot of trouble for a few meals.
Coturnix are way easier, and when all is said and done there aint that much difference in size.

The chukar are just about at the month mark for eating rabbit pellets, for taste, like my quail.

I cant wait till they are gone . . .
clap.gif
I too have a mean chukar!! It’s cornered my hens and is trying to peck them to DEATH!! It’s so mean!! I’m about to make it dinner!!

Back
Top Bottom