Neem Oil and Chickens

Ascholten

Free Ranging
Dec 12, 2020
Jacksonville, FL
Neem Oil is used fairly effectively as an insecticide because it taste bad, they won't eat stuff that is sprayed in it... so I am told.

Chickens...

Can we spray veggies, and garden stuff with neem oil to make it less tasty to chickens so they will be less enticed to munch on it? If not Neem Oil, is there something we can spray stuff with that is fairly safe that may turn the girls away... maybe some chicken bullion cubes? :)

Aaron

Neem Oil is used fairly effectively as an insecticide because it taste bad, they won't eat stuff that is sprayed in it... so I am told.

Chickens...

Can we spray veggies, and garden stuff with neem oil to make it less tasty to chickens so they will be less enticed to munch on it? If not Neem Oil, is there something we can spray stuff with that is fairly safe that may turn the girls away... maybe some chicken bullion cubes? :)

Aaron
Tabasco sauce.
Get a 10litre tub of it and use it as you would use weedkiller.

That's a lot of tabasker sauce, them farts be igniting after eating that much!!

On the caspsaicin, is it all birds that can't taste it or just certain families / genus? curious now. Is there something though that would keep them out of things you'd rather they not eat on you, .. something that'd not rend them toxic or radioactive at least...

Aaron

Spraying Neem oil can be risky, when it is not done correctly it will burn your plants. However, if it is done correctly it could work.
I spray Neem oil twice a year for other reasons.

I go out right after the sun sets to spray. The next morning I go out an hour before the sun rises and drench the plants with water. This prevents most burns although you may still have a few. The other way to do it would be to spray it at the base of the plants. But, that probably wouldn't help with chicken issues.

I use a concentrated mint spray to keep the birds off. There is no risk of burning the plants with it and, unless I don't make it strong enough the birds hate it.

That's a lot of tabasker sauce, them farts be igniting after eating that much!!

On the caspsaicin, is it all birds that can't taste it or just certain families / genus? curious now. Is there something though that would keep them out of things you'd rather they not eat on you, .. something that'd not rend them toxic or radioactive at least...

Aaron
Birds can taste it, it just doesn't affect their pain receptors like it does in people and other mammals. That's why chickens and other birds can ravage a habanero patch without stopping for milk

Back
Top Bottom