Necrosis and deformities in feet!

Botanicalbeauty

Hatching
Apr 26, 2023
our rooster got in a fight with our other rooster. He got tore up and was hobbling. Also had swollen feet. Assumed it was bumble foot. Soaked his feet and went to go perform. There was black scabbing on the toes but no circular “head”. I’m wondering if it’s something else entirely. I did remover scabbing and tried to find some kind of kernel underneath but it was just red flesh. I applied a topical and bandage and he seemed to be doing okay. Now his feet have swollen back up and they look even worse. I have some penicillin on the way because it looks to be some kind of staph infection. There are signs of necrosis and toe deformities and his feet are swollen. He’s still getting around he comes to me in the mornings since I’ve moved him into the yard away from the flock. But any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated! I know his feet may not heal back to normal but I don’t want to lose him. You can see a small mark but that where I tried to check for a kernel but was unsure if this was actually bumblefoot..

Attachments

• IMG_1832.jpeg
    IMG_1832.jpeg
    576.1 KB · Views: 29
Welcome To BYC

Can you get a few more photos at different angles?

Were they originally fence fighting? This will shred the flesh on the feet.

Photos will help, but from what I can tell. Soak both feet in Chlorhexidine.
When you take him out of the soak. Stand him on a clean towel or paper towels and just lightly pat dry.
Apply a VERY thin layer of triple antibiotic ointment to just the scabs. I like to use non stick gauze pads to cover the ointment, then wrap with vetwrap. Put him on clean dry bedding.
Soak and change wrappings daily.

You want to check those wrappings to make sure they are not getting tight since there's swelling.

If you are not comfortable wrapping the feet due to swelling, then place him in a cage on puppy pads and change the pads out when they get soiled.

Welcome To BYC

Can you get a few more photos at different angles?

Were they originally fence fighting? This will shred the flesh on the feet.

Photos will help, but from what I can tell. Soak both feet in Chlorhexidine.
When you take him out of the soak. Stand him on a clean towel or paper towels and just lightly pat dry.
Apply a VERY thin layer of triple antibiotic ointment to just the scabs. I like to use non stick gauze pads to cover the ointment, then wrap with vetwrap. Put him on clean dry bedding.
Soak and change wrappings daily.

You want to check those wrappings to make sure they are not getting tight since there's swelling.

If you are not comfortable wrapping the feet due to swelling, then place him in a cage on puppy pads and change the pads out when they get soiled.
Yes originally they were fighting through the fence. We hit him with some blue kote germicidal and fungicidal and gave him a shot of penicillin. Hopefully he clears up. I will also try and get some more pictures

Back
Top Bottom