Mystery Button Quail!

Hiram Means

Songster
Feb 26, 2021
I'm back with a new set of button quail that I find to be enigmas! I figured out all their genders, but their color types is beyond me! Help anyone?

#1 as a female Adult
IMG_3511.JPG
IMG_3513.JPG

#1 as a juvenile, his feathers look like a red-breasted's.

IMG_3382.JPG

#1 as a baby. Excuse the heat lamp. The baby was yellow with no black markings. It's the one in the back.
IMG_3374.JPG

Alright. Here's #2 (male), baby form.

IMG_3366.JPG

Here he is as a grown up:
IMG_3522.JPG

And here's #3. He looked exactly like his golden pearl sister as a baby, but here he is as an adult:

IMG_3525.JPG
IMG_3527.JPG

His bib looks like a Darth Vader, but he has a blue breast.

Thoughts anyone???

Not all darth Vaders are equal, and there’s a definite variety of how strongly some of the traits are expressed. My darth Vaders have red that reaches the neck, but it’s not as full red as some, and I’m working my way up to more red. Same with white face and neck markings, some have more some have less. From pics I’ve seen online, golden pearl males have that brownish pattern on the their backs, and a wide range of redness on the breast. My cinnamon darths are almost identical to my regular darths, except their topside is dark gray and not black and you can see that most dramatically where the black from the throat meets the gray from the head. That guy looks gray at the head and face and black at the throat so I’m thinking cinnamon golden pearl?

Not all darth Vaders are equal, and there’s a definite variety of how strongly some of the traits are expressed. My darth Vaders have red that reaches the neck, but it’s not as full red as some, and I’m working my way up to more red. Same with white face and neck markings, some have more some have less. From pics I’ve seen online, golden pearl males have that brownish pattern on the their backs, and a wide range of redness on the breast. My cinnamon darths are almost identical to my regular darths, except their topside is dark gray and not black and you can see that most dramatically where the black from the throat meets the gray from the head. That guy looks gray at the head and face and black at the throat so I’m thinking cinnamon golden pearl?
That makes sense! Thanks!

That makes sense! Thanks!
Wasn’t even paying attention to the others, 1 looks like red breasted/Vader tuxedo/pied.

2 is definitely cinnamon darth, and splash/pied, or depending how much white there is, I’m told white patches also indicate they carry recessive white. My darth males have a white patch on their bellies (females it’s hard to determine) and last cinnamon hatch 3/18 were solid white, so I’m thinking at least 1 hen in the cinnamon group carries white. But one hen is a tuxedo and about 6-7 chicks were also various levels of tuxedo. So I feel like you can try to determine the likelihood of pied vs recessive white by how many chicks of each you produce compared to parents showing the traits.

Back
Top Bottom