My duck has a drooping wing, any advice please?

Please do get a baseline weight on your other ducks as weight loss is almost always a good indicator of whether or not they are sick. You don't need to weigh them every week or anything like that, just weigh them now, then if any start looking iffy, like with droopy wings, ratty feathers, funny poop, not eating, hiding from others, etc., weigh them again.

Hello everyone, I am new to this site and live in the UK. I have been avidly reading the posts on ducks and found some wonderful advice, you seem like a fantastic bunch of people that really care about our feathered friends! I have runner ducks and one is struggling, I'm hoping you can come to my/her rescue.
She is about 7 months old, until 10 days ago she was absolutely fine but then she started to run a bit slower than the others and got left behind. I kept an eye on her then 6 days ago she went off her legs, she couldn't walk properly she just sat down and she stopped eating. Since then I've kept her in their run during the day so she can still see the others as they run around our orchard and then searched for advice on here! After reading a few posts I thought that she hadn't been getting enough niacin so I gave her a concentrated vitamin boost which contains niacin for 4 days as recommended on the bottle. She has become much brighter in the last 2 days, she's still struggling to walk properly but is much stronger than she was and moving more. Her appetite is back today and she has been devouring her food! I bought some brewers yeast so I will be mixing that with their food to make sure the rest are ok.
Having said she's improving I noticed yesterday that her wing on her left hand side isn't sitting like the right one and has dropped a bit. I have included a photo. Is this because she wan't getting enough niacin? I have checked her over and I don't believe it's broken as it feels the same as the other wing. Is there anything else I can do for her or shall I just leave her to regain her strength and see how she gets on? Any advice would be gratefully received as I feel a bit powerless and I don't want to get her care wrong. Thank you in advance!!

View attachment 2028586
I’m not sure about the wing situation but I had a duck go off her leg one day as well. She would just lay around most of th day. She couldn’t get to her water and good easily and she was starting to get weak. I ended up splinting the bad leg for a few days with a popsicle stick and some bandage roll. I also gave her extra greens in her diet.
that was all it took and she recovered quickly and fully

Back
Top Bottom