My dove is going to be ok right?

GoldenBlossoms

Songster
May 30, 2022
My dove just ate a whole popcorn colonel I didn't realize was on my floor. Is she going to be ok? I put her in her cage so I could vacuum so no more is around. I have only had her for a few months now.

She should be fine.
Ok. Thanks. I have never seen her eat something so big and she just swallowed it even though it looked bigger then her beak. I normally give her nuts and stuff but I crush them very small for her so when she ate a popcorn coronal I was worried.

Does she have grit? If so she should be able to pass it just fine.

Even if she doesn’t have grit I think it would be fine, but doves definitely need grit.

Unpopped popcorn kernels are actually an ingredient in the pigeon / dove food I use

Does she have grit? If so she should be able to pass it just fine.

Even if she doesn’t have grit I think it would be fine, but doves definitely need grit.

Unpopped popcorn kernels are actually an ingredient in the pigeon / dove food I use
Interesting. And she has a little grit but she throws most of it at the bottom of her cage so idk if she is actually eating it or not. Maybe what lands on the carpet as she likes to be a floor bird. Lol

What kind of grit are you using? I’ve found some brands include ingredients that aren’t grid, like safflower seeds, which allows the behavior of flicking the grit out to access the food material mixed in to occur.

It’s good you provide grit regardless, they know when they need to replenish. I notice mine go through grit like crazy when feeding babies

What kind of grit are you using? I’ve found some brands include ingredients that aren’t grid, like safflower seeds, which allows the behavior of flicking the grit out to access the food material mixed in to occur.

It’s good you provide grit regardless, they know when they need to replenish. I notice mine go through grit like crazy when feeding babies
I just picked up a jar that says small bird grit and has a dove on the picture

I would give her the grit I give to my chickens but I felt it was too big for her
You’re probably right in that regard, I have to crush chicken-made oyster shell up for my pigeons.

Maybe you can find some kind of bowl with a rim on it to help curb the grit-flinging. I found a very old one at a thrift store that works great.

You’re probably right in that regard, I have to crush chicken-made oyster shell up for my pigeons.

Maybe you can find some kind of bowl with a rim on it to help curb the grit-flinging. I found a very old one at a thrift store that works great.
Thanks. I'll try that, I think I might have one somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom