My Baby Rooster is always crying

s678865567

Chirping
Mar 2, 2023
I have a pen full of chickens. One of the roosters will not stop crying. He is with the rest, has heat and food and water. He chirps non-stop. He has managed to jump out twice when no one else gets out. He comes running to the door when I open it to feed them. I thought maybe he was surrounded by too many women folks or something but there are two other roosters in there with him and they are fine. Sometimes, he starts way too early in the morning chirping. No pasty butt. He runs around and does not appear to be sick. He is better when I hold him. He is a barred rock. He's the same size as everyone else. I noticed he is better today but that might not last long. He is two weeks old or maybe a little older and came with all the rest in the same box so they should be friends by now.

I have a pen full of chickens. One of the roosters will not stop crying. He is with the rest, has heat and food and water. He chirps non-stop. He has managed to jump out twice when no one else gets out. He comes running to the door when I open it to feed them. I thought maybe he was surrounded by too many women folks or something but there are two other roosters in there with him and they are fine. Sometimes, he starts way too early in the morning chirping. No pasty butt. He runs around and does not appear to be sick. He is better when I hold him. He is a barred rock. He's the same size as everyone else. I noticed he is better today but that might not last long. He is two weeks old or maybe a little older and came with all the rest in the same box so they should be friends by now.
I'm positive he's a rooster because the hatchery colored his head with a red marker..

Since he cries when you're out, tries to get to you desperately, and stops crying when you hold him...that most likely means he has identified you as mama. Assuming of course things like heat issues are ruled out, but that seems unlikely given the other chicks are fine. I had one pullet in a batch of 6 who was like yours - desperate for my attention and an escape artist as a result. If chicks don't have a broody mom hen and they decide early on that you're their mom instead, they will crave your attention. Although I haven't personally seen it, I have heard/read many times that cockerels are often more friendly early on that pullets so that may be what you have going on.

On a side note, the cockerel friendliness thing doesn't necessarily mean he will always crave your attention - or that he will be nice to you once he starts to mature and enters the dreaded hormonal phase a few months in. If you don't know the temperament of the parents it will be hard to predict how his personality will turn out.

Back
Top Bottom